1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

using an HTC Shift off-network

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by myla296, Jun 24, 2011.

1. myla296

myla296 Lurker
    None

Jun 24, 2011
    Hi, I found you guys because I want to see if it's worth keeping my HTC Shift as an "iPod Touch" device. It has a better camera and a light on it, but so far I have limited control over the phone. I'd like to be able to remove all of the things that are network related, and be able to use the Android Market (it asks me to enter my google account, and it seems that I can only do that through the network :-(

Advertisement

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Welcome to Android Forums!

If by "the network" you mean your wireless carrier, then no, it doesn't have to be connected. I am going to assume you are with Sprint and Sprint is a CDMA network. On a GSM network it would be as easy as pulling out the sim card, but since you don't have one, you'll have to deactivate the device from Sprint's network. Then connect the phone via WiFi only and you will still have access to the market. If you use the same gmail account for the Shift and whatever phone you got to replace it, then you will share all the same apps, mail and contacts, if that's what you want. Otherwise, create a different gmail account for the Shift.