1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Using apps with external memory. Also, remote desktop.

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Tonedeaf, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Tonedeaf

Tonedeaf Lurker

Hello all,

I am seriously considering getting the new ThinkPad android tablet. It will be my first experience with android, and as such there are a few things I need to know about how external memory is used, including both SD cards and flash drives.

1. Can I access and play music and movies I put on the SD card? in particular, what app or apps would allow me to play media in the file/folder setup I've had for years?

1a. What video formats are best supported? I don't mind converting.

2. What else can be stored and accessed on external memory that I might not have thought about?

3. Is there an app that will let me remote into my Windows computer at home? I know this one doesn't relate to external memory, but I feel it's just as important, as I will likely need to use windows at school and this will make it easier than using the school computers. (EDIT: never mind, seems Lenovo preloads such an app.)

Thank you in advance.

PS: I looked at the threads that popped up when I typed in the thread title (neat feature for a help forum), but they talked about 2.1 and 2.2, while the Thinkpad tablet comes with 3.1, so I felt this is worth a thread.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. 2manyPHONES

2manyPHONES Android Expert

1. While I don't have a thinkpad I do have a couple tabs and i have no problem accessing my media that i store. I would recommend getting es file manager to be able to browse through all your files/folders. Also a side note if you use es file it seems to be set to open on the internal sd card so if you tap the blue sd card icon in the upper left it will take you to the main folder list then look for mnt folder and all your storage folders will be listed in there. And to play media like movies I use rockplayer. Haven't had any problems with it

1a. I use avi format for my movies. Mp4 is to small more like for a zune or ipod screen.

I put other files on there like spreadsheets I use for my monthly bills etc.

3. I'll leave this one to someone else as i have never done this.