• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Using apps with external memory. Also, remote desktop.

Tonedeaf

Lurker
Aug 28, 2011
Hello all,

I am seriously considering getting the new ThinkPad android tablet. It will be my first experience with android, and as such there are a few things I need to know about how external memory is used, including both SD cards and flash drives.

1. Can I access and play music and movies I put on the SD card? in particular, what app or apps would allow me to play media in the file/folder setup I've had for years?

1a. What video formats are best supported? I don't mind converting.

2. What else can be stored and accessed on external memory that I might not have thought about?

3. Is there an app that will let me remote into my Windows computer at home? I know this one doesn't relate to external memory, but I feel it's just as important, as I will likely need to use windows at school and this will make it easier than using the school computers. (EDIT: never mind, seems Lenovo preloads such an app.)

Thank you in advance.

PS: I looked at the threads that popped up when I typed in the thread title (neat feature for a help forum), but they talked about 2.1 and 2.2, while the Thinkpad tablet comes with 3.1, so I felt this is worth a thread.

Hello all,

I am seriously considering getting the new ThinkPad android tablet. It will be my first experience with android, and as such there are a few things I need to know about how external memory is used, including both SD cards and flash drives.

1. Can I access and play music and movies I put on the SD card? in particular, what app or apps would allow me to play media in the file/folder setup I've had for years?

1a. What video formats are best supported? I don't mind converting.

1. While I don't have a thinkpad I do have a couple tabs and i have no problem accessing my media that i store. I would recommend getting es file manager to be able to browse through all your files/folders. Also a side note if you use es file it seems to be set to open on the internal sd card so if you tap the blue sd card icon in the upper left it will take you to the main folder list then look for mnt folder and all your storage folders will be listed in there. And to play media like movies I use rockplayer. Haven't had any problems with it

1a. I use avi format for my movies. Mp4 is to small more like for a zune or ipod screen.

2. What else can be stored and accessed on external memory that I might not have thought about?

I put other files on there like spreadsheets I use for my monthly bills etc.

3. Is there an app that will let me remote into my Windows computer at home? I know this one doesn't relate to external memory, but I feel it's just as important, as I will likely need to use windows at school and this will make it easier than using the school computers. (EDIT: never mind, seems Lenovo preloads such an app.)

Thank you in advance.

PS: I looked at the threads that popped up when I typed in the thread title (neat feature for a help forum), but they talked about 2.1 and 2.2, while the Thinkpad tablet comes with 3.1, so I felt this is worth a thread.

3. I'll leave this one to someone else as i have never done this.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones