• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Using bluetooth controller while still playing via speaker...

So I'm not sure if this is possible and if it is I can't get it working. I recently put an aux cable in my car so I can use the evo for music which works great. However It would be nice to change tracks using a remote rather then having to pick the evo up while driving. I picked up a Jabra BT3030 - It's a little small remote and I got it paired just fine with my evo. The media controls work fine (except the volume controls) I can play/pause a track and skip to next track which is what I wanted it for. However the phone is streaming the audio to the BT3030 and doesn't output the music via the phone since it's connected to bluetooth. Is it possible to use the phone to play the music and just use the bt3030 for remote control?

The controller also takes over phone calls which I don't want it to do either. I can go into options and disable media and/or phone. If I disable both it just disconnects from the device, if I disable media the controls no longer work.

Any ideas?

there is a better way. i will try and find the link. they sell a bluetooth add on kit that does all of what you are trying to do.

doing it the method which you are trying will not work.

Awesome, I am just sick of having to mess with the phone while driving to change tracks. I thought this would work ok, but it doesn't. I have to keep my phone in the center cup holder of my car cause that is where my aux cable is.

Upvote 0
ok here is one of the things I was looking for.

Amazon.com: BlackBerry Remote Stereo Bluetooth Gateway for BlackBerry 8100, 8110, 8120, 8130, 8300, 8310, 8320, 8330, 8800, 8820, 8830, 9000 (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories

this would give you the ability to mount the phone wherever you want in a place that is more accessible

I use a windshield mount, with a power cable run behind the scenes up to the phone. phone is set to stay awake via the pandora menu and the applications menu (stay awake while charging) it's just a reach above the radio centered just above the dash in my car.

there are many solutions that are similar...I think some even have a bluetooth remote.

does your car have an ipod connection or just the aux in?

Reactions: Sim-X
Upvote 0
Thanks for the advice Ed, I have a 4G Mitsubishi eclipse and while my car came with an aux mode, it didn't work stock. I had to buy a special cable at the dealership that wires into the factory radio harness which I now have installed. The cable is kinda short I ran it down along the center console and comes out by my e-brake and I use a cell cup holder than holds my evo.

I have an ipod as well and Mitsubishi actually makes a cable just for the ipod that also wires into the factory harness as well. My understanding when using the ipod cable is the ipod provides a digital output to the radio as well as charges the ipod which is nice however I'm not sure if you would be able to use the radio controls to control the ipod, especially a newer ipod touch which is what I have. Plus the cable is around $200 from mitsubishi and the cable I got was like $20 bucks and already installed. Plus I always have my evo with me where I don't want to lug my ipod around everywhere. Plus my evo streams, I have a rhapsody which is great. Anyway the standard aux cable works and sounds fine.

If I ended up getting that controller, I would prob move my aux cable into the glove box and keep the bluetooth gateway in the glove box. Problem is then I have to reach in the glove box to turn the gateway on and off all the time.

I have a suction windshield mount but hardly ever use it unless I am using nav on the evo.

So right now my setup is aux cable comes out by e-brake and my evo sits in my cup holder. (I have a holder in my cup holder) It works ok, I usually keep my lock screen unlocked and if I wanna change track I can do it without taking the phone out but I would rather just have a remote control. The bt3030 would be perfect but it streams the music to the bt3030 instead of outputting it to aux.

So I really don't want a windshield mount up on a regular basis, I mean I can deal with it but if there was a better solution I would rather have a remote or something.

Moving the auxcable would be out of the ? even if I did use a windshield mount, the cable would never reach and even if it did I wouldn't want it across my dash.

Maybe it's time for a new stereo system in the spring.

Upvote 0
well..ultimately a new stereo head unit would be the best solution...one that has bluetooth.

Forgive me for not clarifying the question regarding iphone. there is a bt sprint anycom adapter that hooks that hooks to car and home stereo ipod connections, allowing you to play the evo and control it through that.

let me think on what you are trying to do and see what solutions I can come up with

Upvote 0
hey sim...by complete fluke today I think I found out that your original question does work. so I had my phone hooked up via cable to a stereo in the garage while I was working on the car...turned on the car and my bluetooth headunit was on ...sound continued to play through the cable to the little stereo boombox but I was controlling it from the bluetooth headunit in the car.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones