• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Using built in IM program...

Milkboot

Oct 23, 2008
I remember when I had gotten my MDA from T-Mobile that the built in AIM/YAHOO/MSN program would count a message sent from there as a SMS/MMS message and after one VERY VERY large bill I switched to another program that would send messages that were through the internet connection [wifi/GPRS connection] I am curious if anyone has a chance to look into such a thing, or was it all just my imagination and my regular texting got out of control that month.

Saving $10 or so between the data plans would be nice, especially since the overage charge on texts is up to $0.20 now! [serious... whiskey tango foxtrot] I plan on calling them soon about it, but with the shifts I work I wont be able to do it for a few days :(

Hopefully someone has a guess or a answer :D

I remember when I had gotten my MDA from T-Mobile that the built in AIM/YAHOO/MSN program would count a message sent from there as a SMS/MMS message and after one VERY VERY large bill I switched to another program that would send messages that were through the internet connection [wifi/GPRS connection] I am curious if anyone has a chance to look into such a thing, or was it all just my imagination and my regular texting got out of control that month.

Saving $10 or so between the data plans would be nice, especially since the overage charge on texts is up to $0.20 now! [serious... whiskey tango foxtrot] I plan on calling them soon about it, but with the shifts I work I wont be able to do it for a few days :(

Hopefully someone has a guess or a answer :D
The AIM/Yahoo/MSN IM program on the G1 is indeed SMS based, so yes the msgs you both send AND receive do count toward your txt msging totals for the month; Gchat on the other hand, is data based, so you can Gchat all you want without worry. Until someone comes out with an app that provides AIM/Yahoo/MSN over the data connection (*crosses fingers, prays and knocks on wood*), I'd seriously recommend the $35 monthly plan if you IM a lot. Or you could just not use the (widely recognized as) crappy SMS-based IM interfaces until such an app is developed.

Upvote 0
I did notice it does take a while for it to update the friends list, its nothing new to me really a lot of mobile IM apps I have used always seem to take a while. Even web based all in one versions.

I did see another post that someone linked to NYT about two other sites to get apps and Handango has a IM+ app that does it all but at 19.99 I think I can wait.

Upvote 0
I had a friend load up Meebo.com on his iPhone and I did it on the G1 and both are kind of slow. [Could have been reception in the building we were in] but Meebo.com does work with the G1, So if you just have to log in to message someone that is online and are on the 400 message package its another option for you guys.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones