1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Using Evo as internet device only.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Mermonkey, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Mermonkey

Mermonkey Lurker
    None

Jul 23, 2011
    I have moved to an area where the service for Sprint is horrible. I changed carriers and now have two Evos I would like to use for internet/music devices. I know I can just use the phone with any rom to achieve this, but has anyone created a rom that has all the carrier and phone features stripped from it?

Thanks

P.S. I would like to thank all the moderators and site participants. You have always been very helpful and I appreciate it.

Advertisement

2. vailpass

vailpass Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 18, 2011
    Gettin' My Mind Right
    If you are using the non-pay hotspot be careful how much you download especially torrent. See the thread here about the guy who got cancelled by Sprint.

3. Mermonkey

Mermonkey Lurker
    None

Jul 23, 2011
    I do not even have a Sprint account any longer.

Currently the way I have it setup is with a swag rom, all carrier services turned off, wireless connected to my wireless network, using Google music. I then use a 3.5 to stereo RCA plugged into my home stereo. It's nice way to use my music without having to burn, copy or move anything.

I would be curious of all the ways someone might use a device like this post carrier. I am thinking of giving the other to my kids to use as a replacement for an itouch. These are powerful devices and could be retasked in some cool ways I am sure.

youdoofus likes this.
  4. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    well i upgraded to the evo 3d and kept my evo. i am able to use my evo on wifi with no issues.. i can connect to the internet, download apps, and stream music and netflix on my unactivated evo.

Mermonkey likes this.
  5. NaterTots

NaterTots Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 24, 2011
    Plumber
    CT
    Here is a Thread that outlines some of the things you can do with an EVO that does not have service with a carrier.

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/199425-evo-no-contract-question.html

It's kind of wild how much you can do with it.
    I know I never plan to get rid of mine.

Naters

6. Granite1

Granite1 Zercron Encrusted Tweezer
    None

Dec 27, 2010
    Male
    Highway Construction Inspection
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Good call Naters, I was going to link the same thread. :)
    If you use Google voice, and you have a WiFi connection, you can make calls with VoIP. No need for service from Sprint. ;)
    Also the navigation works even without a data connection. While on wifi, plot your course, and activate the navigation app, let it load all the data, then roll out! It will still work as long as you don't veer too far from your plotted course. :D
    Really the evo can be a great alternative to an iPod touch. Now finding a Rom with all of the phone functions stripped out is going to be a challenge, I've never seen one. :(

mikem0269, NaterTots and Mermonkey like this.
Tags: