• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Using EVO outside the USA

Question for anyone....Has anyone been out of the country with this phone yet. I am flying to Brazil tomorrow and was hoping to use the video chat with Fring or Qik to show some live videos back home in TX. I was curious what kind of settings would have to be changed to make this work. I know there is no Sprint network down there, nor any 3G or 4G. But I assume as long as I was in a wifi spot (hotel, cafe, bar, etc...) that the phone should still be able to connect and use those video chat apps? Any help or experience with this?

I am hoping there is some type of setting I haven't found yet that basically turns off the cellular network functions of this phone, but keeps the wifi option available.

Pretty sure you can only use the phone in the U.S.

Other countries use gsm, not cdma like here in the States. So you outta luck.

This is just silly. Please do a little research before you try to assist people.

Using your phone outside of the US is only smart if you don't mind getting buttraped by the charges. Your best bet is to use wi-fi at your hotel, coffee shop, etc...I can't verify which apps will work over wi-fi. If you DO decide to use the local cellular network, go to this site:

http://internationalroaming.sprint.com/IntlCoverage/WelcomeRoaming.do

Select your country and city, and you can see what's available and how much it will cost you. For example in Brazil, the rates are as follows:

Voice Pricing: $1.99/minute
Data Pricing: $0.016/KB
Special Data Pricing: 1x Data: $0.006/KB
Text Pricing: Send: $0.50/recipient; Recv'd: $0.05/msg

I'm pretty sure you'll have to "activate" international calling. Check out Traveling Internationally for more info. Have fun in Brazil!

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info! Yeah, I have no intention on making any calls or texts while I'm there....way too expensive. I was just wanting to use a wifi spot to try out Fring or Qik. I can only guess there is no setting to basically just turn this thing into a wifi device only. I am curious when I get there if it will just search aimlessly for cellular service. I will let you all know when I get back next week.

Upvote 0
I am hoping there is some type of setting I haven't found yet that basically turns off the cellular network functions of this phone, but keeps the wifi option available.

Go to Settings -> Wireless & network settings -> Check airplane mode to on and it will turn off cellular data (and save you battery)

Once the airplane mode is on you can turn on wifi and it will work.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info! Yeah, I have no intention on making any calls or texts while I'm there....way too expensive. I was just wanting to use a wifi spot to try out Fring or Qik. I can only guess there is no setting to basically just turn this thing into a wifi device only. I am curious when I get there if it will just search aimlessly for cellular service. I will let you all know when I get back next week.

Please report back with how this works out for you. I travel back to Brasil frequently to visit family and would like to know as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones