1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

using exteranl DSLR camera

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by regevlio, Mar 18, 2011.

1. regevlio

regevlio Lurker
    None

Mar 14, 2011
    Hi,

Im wondering if there is an option to connect my DSLR camera to my phone in order to download pictures directly from my camera to the phone's memory

Is there any other option ? like connecting an exteranl USB Drive
    Will it work ?

Advertisement

2. Szadzik

Szadzik Android Expert
    None

Feb 15, 2010
    Male
    FAS Admin
    The phone would have to have USB host and I do not recall any of them having that function built in. There are a few of them that have it with the use of a docking station. One of them is Motorola Atrix.

3. sitlet

None

Apr 11, 2010
    Yea the Atrix and the Xoom tablet are the only two android phones that I have seen with usb host support. Without that, you cannot connect anything to the phone.

4. JLang

None

Mar 9, 2011
    But with an 'Eye-Fi' SDcard in your dSLR you could wirelessly transfer image files from your camera to your laptop. Then a script on your laptop could stick them in your SugarSync or DropBox folder, whence they will be available on your phone.

However, dSLR image files are humongous in size (from a smartphone perspective). Especially if you shoot RAW or TIFF (as any serious dSLR tog would). But phones cannot display RAW or TIFF images. And will probably choke on the files' sizes anyway.
    To be able to handle dSLR image files on phones they will need to be seriously reduced in size and quality first. Not a viable option for daily use.

5. ktambascio

ktambascio Newbie
    None