1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Using External Mic with Note 10+

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by The_Chief, May 7, 2021.

1. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!
    VIP Member Thread Starter

I have an event coming up that I will be recording with the Note 10+ video camera. It's outside... so I purchased an external microphone to put on the podium, running a cable to the Note 10+ on a tripod.

After trying just the mic and cable, I got nothing. I did a YouTube search and learned that I needed an adapter with a built-in DAC like this one.

NO SOUND!

Does anyone here know what I'm doing wrong? Thank you!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. The_Chief

SOLVED!

After watching several YouTube videos, I learned that the TRS to TRRS adapter cable is VERY important... without it in the right place, audio recording ain't gonna happen.

The cable's 3.5mm plugs are different: one end has two black lines around it; the other has three. It is CRUCIAL that this cable plugs directly into the DAC adapter, which plugs directly into the phone.

I had an extender cable to allow for more distance from the microphone to the phone... it's a TRS cable, with only two black lines on the 3.5mm plug. I had the adapter cable plugged into the microphone, and then to the extender cable - which was then plugged into the DAC adapter. WRONG! Connecting that 3-line TRRS plug into a 2-line TRC cable broke the whole thing!

Once I realized this, I connected the extender cable to the microphone... then the adapter... then the DAC... and the phone. Works brilliantly! Here's the video that gave me the tech geek epiphany: Awesome information video

3. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Dannydet, ocnbrze and puppykickr like this.
  4. The_Chief

A wireless mic would be great... but that particular mic wouldn't serve our purposes. The description specifically states, in bold letters:

This item is for recording only, NOT for real-time project such as karaoke or live presentation.

Since this is for video recording our live ceremony, it won't work. Thanks for the input, though!

Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Note 10 release date was August 2019. Features and Specs include a 6.3" inch screen, 12MP camera, 8GB RAM, Exynos 9825 processor, and 3500mAh battery.

August 2019
Release Date
Reviews