• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Using Fingertips on the Touch Screen

Tri3Dent

Apr 8, 2010
Hey Androidforums mates,

Just got a question for you guys. When I use my fingertips (index finger) on the touch screen (not my fingernail but just below it), it's not as responsive as using the flat part of your finger. Does this happen to you? Every time I use my fingertip to scroll around, it would always accidently open an app or accidently open up a link. If i use my thumb by the flat surface, it's fine as well.

Example:
when.gif

The fingertip I was talking about is labelled "A" which I am having problems scrolling around with (seems like not sensing that part of the finger sometimes). If i use the part labelled "B", it's fine and 'connects' with my finger. It's fine when I press harder using "A" but that's cuz it is sensing more of my finger.

Is it same as you guys?

Its because Capacitive touch-screens use a layer of capacitive material to hold an electrical charge, touching the screen changes the amount of charge at a specific point of contact but using the tip of your finger is a smaller surface area and the screen does'nt detect it compared to using a larger flatter part of your finger which makes for a better electrical connection.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones