• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Using Goggles

nickkr

Jul 4, 2010
I was out and about yesterday in Bath and for the first time used Goggles properly and was a bit confused how the "live info" supposed to work.

Stood squarely outside Bath Abbey after a few seconds I got a Google location marker with "14" on it..... selecting this brought up a list of local attractions. Impressively Bath Abbey was number 1.
Then a series of individual items started to populate the bottom screen (Pubs , Estate agents etc) - but no Abbey. Most of these were quite a way from my location. The video of the goggles page suggests the info returned is very localised - i.e. point it at a restaurant and it will show info about that place. Didn't seem to work quite like that.

Then all these icons dissapeared. With no refresh the only way to get it back was to restart Goggles.
It IS impressive but I was left feeling I was missing something!

Those things at the bottom of the screen is the nearby places overlay. It happens automatically and seems relatively pointless. Results always seem very random to me. Its kinda seperate from the goggles bit itself, with goggles you actually take a picture with the camera icon, and then this is analyzed so goggles can tell you what it is/translate/google search etc. The nearby places just come up automatically, I imagine its more for advertising than anything useful.
Check out layar if youre looking for something similar for nearby places that actually works. Functions in the same way but you can apply different layers and filters and results dont just randomly disappear.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones