1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Using Google Assistant from my home screen

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by srapp, Sep 3, 2021.

1. srapp

srapp Lurker

I just switched to the S20 FE from a Pixel 4a. Love or hate pixels, that's not the point of this post. On my pixel, I could hit the microphone icon on the right side of my Google search widget on the home screen, and use Assistant to perform various tasks (eg "set an alarm for...", "remind me to..." etc.).

Now that I'm using the S20, the voice command is much less helpful. Commands to "Remind me to...", for example, just return web results for whatever the subject of my reminder is.

FYI I don't like to use the "Hey Google" feature because it often picks up when I don't want it to, thinking I'm making some request, and not having it on contributes to the illusion that Google isn't recording everything I say. I have already installed Assistant, and changed the default AI from Bixby to Google Assistant.

I have been thus far unable to find an alternative Google widget that performs the same function as my Pixel provided. Does anyone know how I can more successfully link a home-screen search widget to Assistant? Any thoughts or suggestions?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. iBowToAndroid

iBowToAndroid Android Enthusiast

A custom launcher like Nova would do that for you

ocnbrze and Dannydet like this.
  3. srapp

srapp Lurker

Good tip, thanks

ocnbrze likes this.
  4. puppykickr

puppykickr Android Expert

You can make it so that a long press of the Home button (center navigation bar button) will trigger the Assistant app.

Settings
    Apps and notifications
    Default apps
    Assist & voice input

Dannydet and ocnbrze like this.

Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G release date was 02 October. Features and Specs include a 6.5" inch screen, 12MP camera, 6/8GB RAM, Snapdragon 865 processor, and 4500mAh battery.

02 October
Release Date
Reviews