• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Using Google Assistant from my home screen

srapp

Lurker
Sep 3, 2021
I just switched to the S20 FE from a Pixel 4a. Love or hate pixels, that's not the point of this post. On my pixel, I could hit the microphone icon on the right side of my Google search widget on the home screen, and use Assistant to perform various tasks (eg "set an alarm for...", "remind me to..." etc.).

Now that I'm using the S20, the voice command is much less helpful. Commands to "Remind me to...", for example, just return web results for whatever the subject of my reminder is.

FYI I don't like to use the "Hey Google" feature because it often picks up when I don't want it to, thinking I'm making some request, and not having it on contributes to the illusion that Google isn't recording everything I say. I have already installed Assistant, and changed the default AI from Bixby to Google Assistant.

I have been thus far unable to find an alternative Google widget that performs the same function as my Pixel provided. Does anyone know how I can more successfully link a home-screen search widget to Assistant? Any thoughts or suggestions?

I just switched to the S20 FE from a Pixel 4a. Love or hate pixels, that's not the point of this post. On my pixel, I could hit the microphone icon on the right side of my Google search widget on the home screen, and use Assistant to perform various tasks (eg "set an alarm for...", "remind me to..." etc.).

Now that I'm using the S20, the voice command is much less helpful. Commands to "Remind me to...", for example, just return web results for whatever the subject of my reminder is.

FYI I don't like to use the "Hey Google" feature because it often picks up when I don't want it to, thinking I'm making some request, and not having it on contributes to the illusion that Google isn't recording everything I say. I have already installed Assistant, and changed the default AI from Bixby to Google Assistant.

I have been thus far unable to find an alternative Google widget that performs the same function as my Pixel provided. Does anyone know how I can more successfully link a home-screen search widget to Assistant? Any thoughts or suggestions?
A custom launcher like Nova would do that for you

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones