• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Using Google Navigation

I've never seen a speed readout, but I have noticed that when choosing routes the app will yell you the estimated time you will arrive INSTEAD of the total time it takes to get there. Can't seem to find a way to display like that while navigating though.

The app is very strange in how it limits you to certain things, but it's an amazing turn by turn navigation that is totally free, so I can't complain.

Upvote 0
For when your jogging? Doesn't your car have a speedometer? ;)
I've also never seen it in Nav or Maps. Maybe you're looking for this if you speedometer's broke: NavSpeedo - Android app on AppBrain

Sometimes we would like these things for a sensible reason. I live in England but drive in other European countries quite a lot. I've ditched my motorhome's built-in satnav because I can no longer get updated maps and I use Google Navigation, which is great.

However, my old system could be set to display KPH instead of MPH, which is a huge advantage in countries where they will stop you for speeding if you're doing just a little bit over the limit. It's almost impossible to read the KPH engravings on my speedo's dial and being able to check my speed on the satnav screen was advantageous.

It's a failing on Google Navigation, which I hope will be corrected soon.

Upvote 0
I just upgraded to the Droid 3, and Google Navigation has not worked right since I did so. It gets hung up on "Searching for GPS..." and won't progress beyond that. So far, I've had 2 brand new replacements from Verizon, all with the same issue. I've factory reset each device several times, and even tried safe mode reboot after factory reset, so there were no apps even installed. I didn't even activate a Google account or anything the most recent time while on the phone with Motorola tech support. I still had the same issue with Google Navigation. So I've eliminated other apps, I've eliminated linked accounts, and Verizon techs have insisted that there is no problem with my account setup.

Navigation worked great on my Droid 2 Global, but I just can't get the Droid 3 to work. Anyone have any other ideas? I'm so sick of having to reinstall my contacts, accounts, and apps, but I'm at a loss on what else to try other than keep returning my phone until I get one that works.

Upvote 0
Wow, I've been using Google Nav.
seo4.jpg
signature.jpg

xiaoliu3.jpg
uk.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones