1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Using Google Navigation

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by wildbill46, Aug 24, 2011.

1. wildbill46

wildbill46 Lurker
    None

Aug 24, 2011
    Still Retired
    Oklahoma
    I've been using google navigation and one of the features I'd like to use is a speed readout. I've seen it come up on occasion but I can't turn it on or make it stay when it does show. Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance,
    Bill

Advertisement

2. itsallgood

itsallgood Android Expert
    None

Jan 27, 2011
    Wow, I've been using Google Nav. for over a few years now and didn't know it could do that.

3. wildbill46

wildbill46 Lurker
    None

Aug 24, 2011
    Still Retired
    Oklahoma
    I let it slide off the console and grabbed for it and the speed came up. It went away right away and I've touched everything on the screen to no avail.

4. tcat007

tcat007 Android Expert
    None

Jan 31, 2011
    Texas
    For when your jogging? Doesn't your car have a speedometer? ;)
    I've also never seen it in Nav or Maps. Maybe you're looking for this if you speedometer's broke: NavSpeedo - Android app on AppBrain

5. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert
    None

Dec 6, 2009
    I've never seen it in Google Maps Nav either.

Neither here nor there. Plenty of GPS devices and apps offer the feature.

6. Stuntman

Stuntman Android Expert

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver, Canada
    I have never noticed a speed read out on Google Maps. I know I do have it on Ovi Maps on my Nokia phone.

7. bigbabys

bigbabys Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 11, 2009
    Personal Account Manager
    Largo, FL
    I've never seen a speed readout, but I have noticed that when choosing routes the app will yell you the estimated time you will arrive INSTEAD of the total time it takes to get there. Can't seem to find a way to display like that while navigating though.

The app is very strange in how it limits you to certain things, but it's an amazing turn by turn navigation that is totally free, so I can't complain.

8. Motorhomer

Motorhomer Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 12, 2011
    Male
    Retailer
    Lancashire, England
    Sometimes we would like these things for a sensible reason. I live in England but drive in other European countries quite a lot. I've ditched my motorhome's built-in satnav because I can no longer get updated maps and I use Google Navigation, which is great.

However, my old system could be set to display KPH instead of MPH, which is a huge advantage in countries where they will stop you for speeding if you're doing just a little bit over the limit. It's almost impossible to read the KPH engravings on my speedo's dial and being able to check my speed on the satnav screen was advantageous.

It's a failing on Google Navigation, which I hope will be corrected soon.

9. ctddallas

ctddallas Lurker
    None

Aug 5, 2011
    I just upgraded to the Droid 3, and Google Navigation has not worked right since I did so. It gets hung up on "Searching for GPS..." and won't progress beyond that. So far, I've had 2 brand new replacements from Verizon, all with the same issue. I've factory reset each device several times, and even tried safe mode reboot after factory reset, so there were no apps even installed. I didn't even activate a Google account or anything the most recent time while on the phone with Motorola tech support. I still had the same issue with Google Navigation. So I've eliminated other apps, I've eliminated linked accounts, and Verizon techs have insisted that there is no problem with my account setup.

Navigation worked great on my Droid 2 Global, but I just can't get the Droid 3 to work. Anyone have any other ideas? I'm so sick of having to reinstall my contacts, accounts, and apps, but I'm at a loss on what else to try other than keep returning my phone until I get one that works.

10. tcat007

tcat007 Android Expert
    None

Jan 31, 2011
    Texas
    Try an app like "GPS Test" to make sure GPS will lock on with something else. Make sure you're outdoors. Make sure GPS is turned on in settings.

11. wygant97

wygant97 Lurker
    None

Aug 24, 2011
    Wow, I've been using Google Nav. [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]