• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Using Google Voice for Visual Voicemail But Can't Get Notifications?

kblanco

Feb 2, 2015
I'm trying to move away from my current visual voicemail app, which has ads which I detest, and move to using Google Voice for its visual voicemail aspect being ad free. I've got it nearly figured out, I've got Voice up and running, got my calls forwarding over when I don't answer to decline (and got the forwarding script saved for when I should ever want to disconnect). The test calls are making it over just fine however I'm not getting any notifications. I've made sure everything is turned on, even allowing to ring through Do Not Disturb. I'm curious if anyone has any advice about something that I might've missed?

Moto G Stylus 2020, latest version of Android 11

I don't get any notifications from GV, for text or anything. I've gone into notifications and made sure that everything - and I mean everything - is turned on. Sorry about the delay in responding, work has been hell with folks out sick and I'm the healthy one so gets who gets all the shifts...

Upvote 0
Go into your phone settings>>>apps & notifications then into Voice. Select notifications>>>voicemail, make sure default is selected and show notifications is on. Then select advanced and make sure you have a tone selected and everything looks right (I'm sure you've done this already a bazillion times).
That's all I can think of...

Screenshot_20210905-195201.pngScreenshot_20210905-192817~2.png

Last edited:
Reactions: tube517 and kblanco
Upvote 0
Go into your phone settings>>>apps & notifications then into Voice. Select notifications>>>voicemail, make sure default is selected and show notifications is on. Then select advanced and make sure you have a tone selected and everything looks right (I'm sure you've done this already a bazillion times).
That's all I can think of...

View attachment 158778View attachment 158780

I just wanted to say thank you! Last night when I got home after work I had a few minutes while dinner was cooking and delved back into GV. Upon the second go around with your advice in mind I found a couple of notification selections that I had missed the first time around including what triggers the voicemail notification on my device once GV takes the message. I've done a handful of test messages calling my primary phone from an older phone I happen to still have (using a free internet calling app) and the test messages passed muster flawlessly.

I'm actually kind of excited cause first, no ads. The visual voicemail I was using, YouMail, while really great and feature packed; contains ads which just drives me nuts as I theme my phone down to the apps only to have garish ads when I look at my voicemail. GV has no ads!!! :) But more importantly I've got a pesky family member that calls repeatedly, I mean repeatedly, through the day sometimes. I've blocked them on my dialer for when I'm at work which sends them directly to voicemail. However I never had transcriptions when using YouMail (cause I didn't want to pay for it). GV has free transcriptions and not only do they appear in the app itself but also on my always on display (YouMail's never did) for me to glance at without even having to unlock and then I can dismiss or call back if it's warranted... Dealing with this pesky family member just got a little easier and I wanted to say thanks for urging me to give it another go round...

Reactions: Clementine_3
Upvote 0
Hey, I've got one more question... Will GV support separate voicemail tones for different individuals? I mean I'm sure it's highly unlikely but I thought I'd ask. Dish out a unique voicemail tone to individuals whom aren't a big rush for me when they call...

Upvote 0
No, it just uses whatever tone that's set, no way to set one up for individuals.
I played with it for a bit and you can't even set individual ringtones unless you are forwarding calls to your carrier. If GV is set for data/wifi only for calls it uses the default ringtone, if set to use your carrier it will use individual ringtones. No such workaround for voicemail or text notifications because they can't be broken out on the carrier/phone side settings.
Hope that made sense. Short answer is no though.

edit: caveat - tasker or ifttt or something similar may be able to get you closer but that's above my pay grade for tasker :oops:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones