1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Using GooManager to upgrade/flash ROM - OpenRecoveryScript

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Mr. Bright5ide, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Mr. Bright5ide

I've attempted going a good amount of digging but either don't find the steps for my specific phone, or the terms are still over my head.

Here it is... last night I rooted my BoostMobile Samsung Galaxy S2 SPH-D710 and upgraded it to Android version 4.2.2 with CyanogenMod version 10.1 following instructions on Broke Bachelors website and YouTube step-by-step verbatim. I seem to have done everything alright (so far:rock:) and am digging my phone. (No prior experience with anything root related)

So today GooManager notifies me of a new update of a "WILD-FOR-THE-NIGHT..." zip. I have downloaded this zip and go into the GooManager menu to Flash ROMs but immediately get a pop-up message saying:

"In order to use this feature you must have an OPENRECOVERYSCRIPT - COMPATIBLE RECOVERY" and gives me 2 options: "Try to find one for me" & "I already have one installed". I pressed the "Find one for Me" option but guess I didn't have one..

So that's where I am, just seeking advice for the best course of action, trying to avoid "bricking" my phone as that wouldn't be very nice now.. :afraid: Thanks in advance and lmk if any additional details are needed.

Doc likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Mr. Bright5ide

(realize perhaps I should have posted this in the "All Things Root" subforum?)

Doc likes this.
  3. Doc

Doc Android Expert

Moved to the all things root section..............;)

LilBit and Mr. Bright5ide like this.
  4. Gendo420

Gendo420 Android Enthusiast

Select that you already have one, you have CWM as your recovery, if you would rather TWRP, that option is open to you as well.

Mr. Bright5ide and Doc like this.
  5. Doc

Doc Android Expert

Yep...........;)

6. Mr. Bright5ide

Ahaa, so Cyanogen is a recovery! Thanks, still trying to learn the lingo :thumb:

Doc likes this.
  7. Doc

Doc Android Expert

That's what we all are here for, if you have a question just ask.......;)

LilBit likes this.
  8. greg schmeg

greg schmeg Guest

CWM is recovery. Cyanogen is the rom . I wouldn't use goo. If there's a new version it'll be on their website. Just flash it normally.

Doc and Mr. Bright5ide like this.
  9. Mr. Bright5ide

lol, clearly I'm getting it muddled. Thanks for clarifying.

10. Mr. Bright5ide

Since I'm already on 10.1 is it necessary to back up everything, wipe it, and then restore? Or can I simply install zip and reboot?

11. Doc

Doc Android Expert

You can do what they call a dirty flash which is just installing the new update on top of the old rom, but you need to check and see on the site you got the rom from, most do, but I would do a backup anyways just in case something goes wrong.......:)

Mr. Bright5ide likes this.
  12. Gendo420

Gendo420 Android Enthusiast

You CAN do a dirty flash if you want, I don't do a factory reset, I just wipe the caches just to be sure everything kinda gets a refresh.
    As far as goo manager, I only use it to download the ROM and manually flash it in recovery. It'll be in the goomanager folder on the phone, not your SD card by default.

13. greg schmeg

greg schmeg Guest

I'm a firm believer in fresh wipes of everything. I backup my apps and then I start from scratch with the new version. Then TB to restore my stuff. Then settings, then I make a new backup. I'll admit though that I've never tried a dirty flash and it might work perfectly. I just like to wipe everything and start from scratch.

14. Mr. Bright5ide

Did it this way and appears to have worked. The only thing I notice is that some of my apex launcher icons appear pixelated. I suppose I could try uninstall apex launcher and/or the icon packs and reinstall but I think I'll just do a clean ROM flash just to make sure there aren't any other hidden kinks..

Doc likes this.
  15. greg schmeg

greg schmeg Guest

Might I recommend Blu Kuban 4.1.2? Waaaaayyy cooler than stock rom.

16. Mr. Bright5ide

Taking baby steps in my android customization ventures at the moment but I'll definitely check it out

17. greg schmeg

greg schmeg Guest

Its just as easy to install as gc01, not using the one click that is. Take your time though.

18. Doc

Doc Android Expert

Always a good idea, take your time, there not goin anywere.....:)

LilBit likes this.

Samsung Galaxy S2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1650mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews