• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help using gps and map without internet

Google Maps is meant to be used with internet access.
That's a reason why Android phones are sold together with data plans as they are meant to be always online.

There is actually another very long thread (don't have it handy) discussing how to save maps locally to your phone. GPS would not work with this method, but it would be handy if you were ok with the zoom level you saved.

My suggestion to the user was to screen capture the maps needed on their desktop and then email them or save them to the device sd card for later browsing.

Upvote 0
Google Maps is meant to be used with internet access.
That's a reason why Android phones are sold together with data plans as they are meant to be always online.

Sometimes when you are outside your local area, the data will cost alot more. Which makes loading maps from microsd is valuable.

We need a Google Earth app for Android that accesses a database saved on the Micro-SD card.

Yes, this is needed. Even paying a small fee is ok. Just like other platform.

Upvote 0
Mapdroyd is essentially that, an offline GPS system where you download the maps onto an SD card or PC and transfer them. This is good for devices like the Archos Internet Tablets. It works just fine; the maps are pretty solid but there is no search option, so you can type in an address and locate it, it just displays the map and has an instant "locate you."

Upvote 0
When you're lost/new in town, the last thing you need is to worry about your data connection. It is inconceivable to me that Google would design the program to require internet.

It never fails: I'm lost, I lose data reliability, Google maps is useless. Nice way to cause a car wreck too. I will try these others but I sure wish I could get Nokia maps for Android.

And why does my phone insist on keeping the screen turned on during navigation, just when I need to conserve the battery? I can hear the voice, don't need to look at it. Should be opt out for people who are walking or not in their own car.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones