• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Using IMAP with AT&T/Yahoo email

rmingee

Jul 21, 2010
I've seen various threads about IMAP settings to use for Yahoo email, but it wasn't clear from most of the posts I read whether it was referring to free Yahoo email or a Yahoo-based account associated with home high speed internet. Some gave parameters not using SSL encryption, and I know that would not work for me, but some used very similar setup to what I currently use on my Palm Pre (which uses an IMAP server with "palm" at the beginning of the name, so I don't know if there's a "secret handshake" between the Pre and the server that disallows access via other devices).

I have AT&T DSL (swbell domain email) and am strongly considering dumping my Pre for an EVO, but IMAP access to my swbell account is a must-have. I have a gmail account, but I'm pretty well-established with the swbell account, and don't want to deal with auto-forwarding.

So has anyone successfully set up IMAP access to an AT&T/Yahoo email account? I tried using an IMAP server and parameters I found here through Windows Live Mail, but I keep getting some sort of certificate error claiming my system doesn't support something the server is expecting. I have tried in the past with Thunderbird as well using the palm IMAP server, and never succeeded with that either. So I'm a little hesitant to take the plunge until I have a high level of confidence it'll work. Plus I'm waiting for the Android version of HanDBase anyway, since I use that via Classic on my Pre.

I don't mind buying an email client if the standard android client doesn't support it. I may do that anyway if there are better ones out there.

Thanks for any and all insight anyone can provide!

-- robert

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones