• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Using it Wifi Only?

elias4444

Lurker
Oct 6, 2010
My apologies if I'm doing this wrong. I also posted this over on the G2 forum since I'm debating between these two phones. I have the same questions about the Samsung Galaxy S phones though as well:

I'm debating between getting the G2 or a Samsung Galaxy S from T-mobile. My main issue though is that 99% of the time I'm going to be around a wireless router (802.11g/n), so I don't want to be paying another $60-$70 a month (or even $40 for data-only) if I don't really need it.

My questions are, if I just buy the phone (off contract of course), can I bring it home and use it with just the wifi? Maybe only active a plan for a single month if I plan on traveling somewhere? Will it still work correctly? Can I just use Skype if I really want to make calls over the wifi connection? Will the local apps on the phone still work if I leave the wifi range (i.e., the music player)?

You'd think I would just buy an iPod Touch or something, but my primary focus is to develop for the Android platform.

Any advice is appreciated!!! Thanks!

My apologies if I'm doing this wrong. I also posted this over on the G2 forum since I'm debating between these two phones. I have the same questions about the Samsung Galaxy S phones though as well:

I'm debating between getting the G2 or a Samsung Galaxy S from T-mobile. My main issue though is that 99% of the time I'm going to be around a wireless router (802.11g/n), so I don't want to be paying another $60-$70 a month (or even $40 for data-only) if I don't really need it.

My questions are, if I just buy the phone (off contract of course), can I bring it home and use it with just the wifi? Maybe only active a plan for a single month if I plan on traveling somewhere? Will it still work correctly? Can I just use Skype if I really want to make calls over the wifi connection? Will the local apps on the phone still work if I leave the wifi range (i.e., the music player)?

You'd think I would just buy an iPod Touch or something, but my primary focus is to develop for the Android platform.

Any advice is appreciated!!! Thanks!

My Galaxy (that I paid full price for - no contract) is currently running on my T-Mobile prepaid sim ($0.10 per minute) and wifi only.

The wifi works perfectly well this way.

Upvote 0
I bought my phone off Craigslist (originally hoped to buy it off that 250 costco mis-price, but I was too late). I been using it for just wi-fi and it works. It is debatable on how well, it could be my campus wireless or the phone. Still it works pretty well.

I'm am worried about the OTA update. Can people using only wifi get it too and how?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones