1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Using my data connection abroad

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by gibbs1984, Jul 1, 2012.

1. gibbs1984

gibbs1984 Android Expert

I'm going to Italy for 3 days in a few days time, what do I need to do to use my data connection over there?

Will I be charged a fortune?

I'm with T-Mobile.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. BigCiX

BigCiX Android Expert

I'd get a prepaid simcard if I was you.

gibbs1984 likes this.
  3. gibbs1984

gibbs1984 Android Expert

Thanks, so I'll pay for a similar and it'll have a certain amount of credit on it so I'll be able so surf the net?

4. coos lick

coos lick Android Enthusiast

Careful - is your handset sim locked to your carrier? If so - another sim will not work.

You may want to give t-mobile a call to see if they offer anything. Orange does a deal where you can buy so much data in advance of going abroad. T-mobile might do the same, and you will still have the same phone number.

Other option is to switch off data, and rely on finding free WiFi. Can be a bit tricky.

5. gibbs1984

gibbs1984 Android Expert

Not entirely sure, it has T-Mobile in the notification bar but how do I tell if it is locked or not?

I'm going to pop down to the T-Mobile shop on Wednesday and see what they can offer.

6. coos lick

coos lick Android Enthusiast

Unless you bought it unlocked for cash (no contract) I'm pretty sure it is locked. All phones bought as upgrades through networks are normally locked. I think carphone warehouse sell phones unlocked though, but I'm unsure about this.

Apparently the easiest way to check if it is locked is to get hold of another micro-sim card, switch phone off, swap sim cards and switch it on. If it asks for a code before it boots, then your phone is locked.

It is possible (and entirely legitimate) to unlock your phone. There are a many companies which will sell you the unlock code. Once the phone is unlocked, it will accept a sim from any network. This is a permanent unlock - unaffected by upgrades/ flashing roms.

I’ve pasted a link to an unlocking company recommended by Modaco below:
    http://www.modaco.com/topic/353183-sim-unlocking/
    http://www.myhtcunlock.com/

gibbs1984 likes this.

HTC One X Forum

The HTC One X release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Nvidia Tegra 3 processor, and 1800mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews