• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Using my MiFi HotSpot SIM card

So Verizon says not to do it of course, but whats the fun in that? I have a XOOM that was upgraded to 4G recently and I only have the 1GB tablet package on it since it is 90% at home on WiFi. I also just yesterday got a 4G Mifi Hot spot, since they are allowing people to get the adapter free and start a new contract when you upgrade to the 5GB package. Anyways, say I go on a trip and I know I am going to use the XOOM more and I don't want to screw around messing with hooking it up to the hot spot or for some reason I am close to going over on my 1GB or the hot spot is dead and I need more data.. Has anyone tried just swapping SIM cards? I am actually thinking of doing this on a more permanent basis since I use the XOOM more than I use the Mifi lately. I know when the 4G upgrade was first done a lot of people were taking their SIM card out of their TBolts and using them but that was a temporary thing. I am sure Verizon can tell what MEID is using the SIM, does anyone know if they will deactivate my account or yell. I mean why should it matter which device the data comes from.

I don't know whether Verizon would either know or care (I don't see why they should or how they could but that doesn't mean they won't apply pointless rules unthinkingly) but I do have a question.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have only one contract that gave you all the data you need? Since Android phones and tablets can act as 4G wireless APs just like the MiFi and since almost all Android phones and the Xoom have wireless adapters, you could just pick one of the three devices (assuming you also have a phone with a data plan) to act as the 4G router.

I would have thought that would be a lot cheaper.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones