• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Using Note 4 as a Mass storage device

ronhum

Lurker
Apr 15, 2015
I have a Note 4 running android 5.0.1. I have pictures on it saved to internal and SD card. I simply want to attach it to my computer with a USB cable and transfer pictures directly from the phone to the PC. I don't think I have ever had a phone that makes it so difficult. I have tried uploading to Dropbox, which I did, but then it is very difficult to move anything from Dropbox anywhere else. When I plug my phone into the computer, it makes a ding sound as if it is recognized, but the phone does not show up anywhere, as a drive, etc. so see no photos. I have tried the Samsung Kies software, but the device doesn't show up there either. All the help I have looked up on the internet is antiquated and for evidently old devices. Seems like the problem is just in recognizing my Note 4. I do not get a little dialog that pops up on PC as I have in past with other phones.
What do I need to do, or what setting do I need to change to get my PC to communicate with my phone, to recognize it so it shows up, so I can move photos, files freely between phone and device.

I don't know if this will help anyone, but the OS makes a difference in connecting to the Note 4. In my case, I still run WinXP (yah, yah I know!)... and I had a hell of a time trying to get my phone to connect to my PC. I tried Kies, Samsung drivers, etc... all to no avail.

What I ended up needing is what's called the Windows Driver Foundation driver. This driver will allow the phone to be detected by the PC and when it is, Task Manager will show a process of WudfHost.exe running.

When you first connect the phone it'll be in "install" mode... you need to switch it to "Media Device". I think once you do that, and you have the driver installed, your PC will see the phone.

It's been a very long time since I went through all the headaches you guys are having, so I can't remember my exact steps in installing this needed driver, neither can I remember which OS needs it, or where you can get it for your particular OS.

Try Google-ing it to find what you need. My main purpose here is to make you aware of this driver.

By the way, USB debugging doesn't need to be enabled to connect to the PC... at least not for me.

Good luck!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones