• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Using Passwords in Tasker and SL4A

hawkjm73

Jun 27, 2010
First off, I love my nexus! :)

Now to the question:

I'm using tasker and sl4a to give me one button control for my Viper SmartStart in my car. Their app was laggy and really slow to load, but you can use https calls to do the remote functions. Much faster, and I can do voice control when I get it set up to my liking. The main trouble is, I'm storing the Viper password in plane text in my script. Major no-no. Gaining the password wouldn't allow someone to drive off with my car, as you still need the key for that, but they would be able to access the interior.

Does anyone have any ideas how I might store the password incripted, or at least obfuscated? I thought maybe storing it in two seperate peices, and having tasker reassemble it via some sort of algorithim, but I'm unsure if that would increase security signifigently.

I'm about to dive into this question as well. I'm working on a Android interface to a project management website for work. I figured out how to push my username and pwd from my py scripts to log-in into the website, but now I need to figure out how to store it on my phone (in the app).

Give this a try:
Google + PreferencesFacade

further reading:
Google + android data-storage

(sorry, can't post links yet)

Upvote 0
Just ran a quick test and its working:

# Storing
self.droid.prefPutValue('key','value','FileName')

# Retrieving a value
print self.droid.prefGetValue('key','FileName')

# Retrieving all
print self.droid.prefGetAll('FileName')

You may have to do some further work to encrypt your information (ie pwds), but its a start. I'm also not sure if these values are available to other apps or if this if private to the particular app. Also, I've read a bit on issues with rooted phones and storing data - bottom line is encryption.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones