1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Using Phone As Hotspot on Sprint

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ska11153, Aug 31, 2011.

1. ska11153

ska11153 Newbie

Hi All,

I have the Samsung Epic. I see in the applications that there is an application called Sprint Hotspot. Do you know if there is an extra charge for using this? It seems like I can just click on it and use it, so I am thinking unless it tells me there is an extra charge they should not be charging me, but I'd rather check. IF there is a charge, are there any programs on the market that accomplish the same thing for free? I know when I had my blackberry there was an application which allowed me to tether without an extra charge.

Thanks

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. la sal

la sal Android Expert

Sprint requires a fee. I think it is around $30 a month.

Wireless tethering is available for free in the Android market but you have to be rooted the last time I checked.

3. Gavisann

Gavisann Android Enthusiast

You do need to be rooted. You can use PDA.NET for wired tether, which doesn't require you to be rooted.

la sal likes this.
  4. Maverickc5

Maverickc5 Newbie

PDA Net is nice !

5. gooberman

gooberman Newbie

Easytether is free and nice to use. It is wired though.

6. Jebus Christ

Jebus Christ Well-Known Member

As mentioned before, you can tether without being rooted but it will not be wireless and you will be limited to one device (you laptop since it will be the only one you can tether your cellphone to).

If you do decide to go the rooted route, you can bypass paying Sprint and simply run the function that the phone had built in from the start. Be careful though because wireless tethering will drain your battery like no ones business and heat the phone up extremely. There is also the chance Sprint might attempt to charge you for this. The last part shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't go crazy with data usage.

Samsung Epic 4G Forum

The Samsung Epic 4G release date was September 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, 512GB RAM, Hummingbird processor, and 1500mAh battery.

September 2010
Release Date
Reviews