1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Using phone with laptop during travel.....

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by MyNyssa, Dec 20, 2011.

1. MyNyssa

MyNyssa Lurker

Hello All, I'm new here so please be gentle. My husband and I are going down to Florida for a month. We live in Northeast Georgia, where our phone service is out of. We will be traveling in and camping out of our van. We may get lucky with a campsite here and there with wifi but for the most part we won't be staying at campgrounds....we'll be in the van. My question is, can we use my hubby's Casio G'zone Commando (with minimum internet package) with our laptops to get internet? We have two laptops, one phone. Will we need a cord for this? Will we be able to get Internet in places where there is no internet? We do not have the budget to go buy an air card right now, so that is NOT an option. We will be leaving next weekend 12-30, so any prompt answers will be great. I kindly thank you in advance for any advice, answers, or suggestions.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. dodgef25

dodgef25 Member

There is a stock app you can use to wirelessly tether the computer to the phone for data usage, which you do have to pay for.

Data will only work when you have data coverage. At times you can have bars but no data coverage.

There are several other tether apps available. I use Barnacle Wifi Tether, it is free to download and it works. I have heard if Verizon finds out you are using a Tether without paying the service they can charge you. I have used it several times without any charges.

3. john58ford

john58ford Well-Known Member

I don't know what the data limit is on a limited "minimum internet package" but if you do use one of the free tether apps without vzws knowledge, you will likely go over your cap by quite a ways quickly and they may decide to check on why, trying to do you a favor, and find the IP history etc linking to a tether.

I wouldn't pay them myself as I find it rediculous to pay for the same internet twice but I would recomend maybe increasing your data plan and also using mobile browsers (like Opera) on your laptops to reduce the amount of data used. you can save a great amount of data and do some IP masking to a point just by tricking your laptop into thinking its a phone (or so I've heard...)

Good luck,
    John

4. space wrangler

space wrangler Well-Known Member

Easy Tether is a good wired teather app. I have used if ocassionally with no VZW charge. Charges the phone while in use if computer is plugged in.

5. cbreze

cbreze Android Enthusiast

+1 for "easy tether". It works great, very quick connection. Root not needed, but drivers are. Easily had in "all things root" thread. But be sure and have sufficient data plan as was already mentioned.:cool:

Casio G'Zone Commando Forum

The Casio G'Zone Commando release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 3.6" inch screen, 5MP camera, 512GB RAM, processor, and 1460mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews