1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Using Samsung Galaxy for just a mp3 player without activation

Discussion in 'Music & Media' started by nanllyn, Jan 12, 2014.

1. nanllyn

nanllyn Member
    None

Nov 10, 2009
    I didn't know where to post this. Hope it is in the correct forum.
    I'm looking for a mp3 player for my car. I usually use my Verizon Galaxy Note 2 to play my music but due to ill parents I need to keep phone ready for call. It's too dangerous getting phone unattached and out of holder to take call. So I'm looking for a mp3 player. I don't want an Ipod. Really like my Samsung media player. If I buy a used phone (possibly from ebay) can it be used as a mp3 player if I don't activate it? And what about phones that are advertised with bad ESN, since I'm not activating it would it still be usable for a mp3 player? Is there anything I need to know or watch out for buying a used phone?
    I would assume it can be used as a mp3 player just not as a phone and I could never update it. Is this correct? Sorry for so many questions but I've always just used the phone that I have activated with Verizon so I don't know what I can and can't do with one that isn't activated.
    Thank you for your time in this matter.
    Nancy

Advertisement

2. DragonSlayer95

DragonSlayer95 Resident Air Bender
    None

Mar 9, 2012
    Male
    Reno, Nevada
    Heya

As long as you don't intend to actually activate it and use it for phone purposes, there's no harm in buying one with a bad esn. You'll still be able to use it as an mp3 player and a wifi device if you choose to do that as well.

As far as buying used if from eBay, just make sure to research the seller and make sure they have very positive feedback.

3. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    You can use an unactivated phone as an mp3 player.

A phone with a bad ESN is usually a stolen phone (or one that's on an account that the account holder didn't pay for, which makes it a stolen phone). If possession of stolen property doesn't bother you, so be it.

Some phones advertised on eBay are listed with the ESN (or MEID, in the case of GSM phones - and Samsung phones come in both flavors, which wouldn't affect using one as an mp3 player). Some phones advertised on eBay are also not working, even though they're advertised as working. I'd sooner buy on Craig's List, where I could try it out before paying. If the seller is legitimate, s/he'll have no problem giving you a bill of sale which includes the ESN or MEID (which is on a label under the battery - no label, don't buy it).

No activation means no updates, you're right, but that wouldn't matter to you. (Actually, it can be updated, but manually, not automatically by the carrier.) You can still install apps to it - either install them to your real phone, back them up to apk files on your SD card, put the card into the "mp3 player" and run the file. Or connect the real phone to your computer (after you've backed up the app), copy the apk file to the computer, connect the mp3 player to the computer, copy the apk file to it, and run it. (Most backup programs back up to apk files. To run the file, just use a file manager - My Files will work - find the file and press it. If it asks you which app to use to install it, Package Manager is the usual one.)

Have fun with your tunes. And tell your parents that they have a good daughter.

4. drunkncrew

drunkncrew Lurker
    None

Jul 7, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    If you're wanting to just get a used phone for this, you should check out swappa.com for their listings. The site takes a few extra precautions with listings to make sure they're good, prior to letting people even post items for sale.

Or, have you thought about just getting the Galaxy MP3 player? It looks/feels just like the phones, just without the cell radios and is quite a bit slimmer. Just a thought.

5. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    Something to be aware of, don't know about the US but in many jurisdictions, receiving and possessing stolen property is a crime in itself. Like if the police find you using a stolen phone, you could be in trouble.

6. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    In the US it's a crime if you knew - or should have known - that it was stolen. If you're buying it for about the price of a used phone of that model, and never checked the ESN or IMEI, you don't have the "mens rea" (Latin for guilty mind - the American legal profession runs on money and Latin) to have committed a crime.

But if you know anything more about cellphones than the average person who can barely use one, you should know to check to see if the phone is stolen, so not checking is saying "I don't want to know" - and that's mens rea. In government it's called "plausible deniability" and when a president uses the claim I always wonder what government information the president doesn't have access to (or, worse, the intelligence to find out about).

Finding a penny on the street and keeping it isn't a crime. Finding a bag with $100,000 in it, and with the name of a bank on it, and keeping it is.

7. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    It's up to the court to prove that you knew the phone was stolen, which is same in the UK. Although in the meantime you might be under arrest, handcuffed, carted off to the police station and charged with receiving/possessing stolen property

8. cpht

cpht Member
    None

Feb 5, 2011
    But an El cheapo prepaid phone and don't activate it. My 3 kids have been using virgin mobile phones as Android based ipod touches. They work great and cost about $40 each.