• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Using the Atrix as an MP3 player

D

Deleted User

When I get the Atrix I am thinking about ditching my Zune HD and using the Atrix as my MP3 player. I have never used my phone as my MP3 player and want to know if you get lag when you start putting a lot of music on the phone?

I have about 20GB of music and plan on buying a 32GB micro SD card for the phone. Will I run into any problems with that much music or should I stick with my Zune?

When I get the Atrix I am thinking about ditching my Zune HD and using the Atrix as my MP3 player. I have never used my phone as my MP3 player and want to know if you get lag when you start putting a lot of music on the phone?

I have about 20GB of music and plan on buying a 32GB micro SD card for the phone. Will I run into any problems with that much music or should I stick with my Zune?

Wanna toss that ZuneHD my way? ;) lol

Upvote 0
The access speeds may be more of a function of the class of SD card and/or which media player app you are using. FWIW, I'm using PowerAmp (paid version) on a Motorola Defy, and play 6hr mp3 DJ sets which are upwards of 400MB per file, and play/pause/FF/RW instantly, on a full 8GB class 4 micro SD card.

Another PowerAMP user here. Awesome application, and at least as far as my Captivate on 2.1 or 2.2, much better than the stock music app, and staying ahead of WinAMP and Mixzing in terms of features and updates.

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0
The access speeds may be more of a function of the class of SD card and/or which media player app you are using. FWIW, I'm using PowerAmp (paid version) on a Motorola Defy, and play 6hr mp3 DJ sets which are upwards of 400MB per file, and play/pause/FF/RW instantly, on a full 8GB class 4 micro SD card.

if i remember correctly, the class of an SD card only effects the writing speed, not read speed. so when transferring stuff to the card is where you'll see a speed difference.

you shouldn't have any issues using your phone as an mp3 player regarding lag and performance.

Upvote 0
if i remember correctly, the class of an SD card only effects the writing speed, not read speed. so when transferring stuff to the card is where you'll see a speed difference.

you shouldn't have any issues using your phone as an mp3 player regarding lag and performance.

Yea, for read speeds you want to look at the rating speed, which is the number with the x at the end. For example 66x, 133x, 150x or 200x

Upvote 0
I tried Poweramp, but unfortunately it doesn't see my 32GB MicroSD card. It will see the internal memory though.

Is this a bug with the program or am I doing something wrong?

I would contact the developer for that issue. I do not have a 32GB card, but it seems as if there are some specific folder and library management settings which need to be configured, in order for you files to become visible. As files are added, the designated folders must be "re-scanned" in order to be visible within Power Amp.

Upvote 0
I tried Poweramp, but unfortunately it doesn't see my 32GB MicroSD card. It will see the internal memory though.

Is this a bug with the program or am I doing something wrong?
Do you mean you want to save the apk to the MicroSD card? apps2SD aren't enabled for apps that required active service and use widgets. Or do you mean you are unable to play your songs from your MicroSD card? Sorry your question is a bit confusing to understand.

Upvote 0
Do you mean you want to save the apk to the MicroSD card? apps2SD aren't enabled for apps that required active service and use widgets. Or do you mean you are unable to play your songs from your MicroSD card? Sorry your question is a bit confusing to understand.

I am unable to play songs on the MicroSD card. When trying to add songs to Poweramp's music folders, Poweramp only sees internal memory and won't see the songs on my MicroSD card.

Upvote 0
I am unable to play songs on the MicroSD card. When trying to add songs to Poweramp's music folders, Poweramp only sees internal memory and won't see the songs on my MicroSD card.
hmm :< I see you've also posted your problem in the poweramp support forum too. Not sure if you wanted to post the issue in our Poweramp thread since someone might also have had this trouble too, if it's not an Atrix incompalibility.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones