• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Using the GPS without a data plan

SlowRain

Oct 11, 2010
a Canadian expat in Taiwan
(We'll see if this gets any votes for dumb question of the week.)

I don't have a data plan, nor do I want one. I knew the GPS was problematic on the Galaxy S when I bought it, but I didn't really foresee much GPS use. I'm curious to play with it, but don't know how much I'll actually need it.

Am I right in assuming that the basic GPS is separate from 3G in that I can use it to find my location? I understand that overlaying my location on Google Maps needs 3G (unless I'm using WiFi). However, is it also possible to overlay my location on off-line, cached maps like those in MapDroyd and Maps (-)?

Also, what privileges/settings do I need for the GPS to communicate with these maps and show my location?

you are correct , GPS and 3g are separate things
GPS is free to use , 3G is not

you can use cached maps for navigation (or you can use those navigation apps such as Sygic) and you won't need any data connection at all

there are no privileges or settings , just make sure the GPS is turned on in your phone

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones