1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Using the phones mic while something is plugged into the headphone jack. Is it possible?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Nagrom, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Nagrom

Nagrom Android Expert
    None

May 28, 2010
    Cheshire UK
    Hi kids.

Okay so I just bought a new car stereo with a front aux port for an MP3 player. I've been using my phone plugged into this for my music in the car, and I had the idea of using the same principle as a hands free phone thingy. The theory is that the speech would come through the car speakers, from the headphone port on my phone. The same way the hands free cable works. The only issue is, is the phones mic disabled when the cable is plugged in, as the phoen thinks a hands free headset is attached, and not a cable to the car stereo.

Is there a way of having this aux cable attached through the headphone port, but still leaving the mic active?

Does that make sense?

If so, can someone explain it to me LOL.

Thanks

Andy.

Advertisement

2. arkwright

arkwright Member

Feb 13, 2011
    I plug my phone into my car stereo to listen to music and if someone calls me, the music stops, the caller can be heard through the car speakers and I can talk to the caller through the phone mic.

This is all done automatically and I haven't changed any settings etc to achieve it.

So in answer to your question, YES you can do what you want to do, well at least you can on my Desire.

Nagrom likes this.
  3. SUroot

SUroot Android Expert
    None

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    Is it not controlled by the type of jack plugged in? If it has a Mic connection it turns the built in Mic off?

I.e. a trs connector (2 insulation rings) is just speaker audio where as a trrs connector is 2 way audio?

Might be wrong but that's what I would assume

amit_eighty8 and Nagrom like this.
  4. Nagrom

Nagrom Android Expert
    None

May 28, 2010
    Cheshire UK
    Sweet guys. Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try.

Andy.

Tags: