1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Using the S5570 as a mass storage device

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Kepler, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Kepler

Kepler Lurker
    None

Jun 2, 2011
    London
    Is there any way to set up the S5570 as a mass storage device on my PC. The reason for wanting this is to provide a simple method of transferring mp3 music files from my PC to the phone via the USB cable. I have the Galaxy USB driver installed.

With previous mobiles it was simply a case of connecting the phone to the PC and the phone would then be automatically recognised and displayed in Windows Explorer as a new drive. I can't see any way of doing this with the S5570. I've found the Tethering sub menu which says that it is for USB use, but it doesn't seem to do anything in particular.

Advertisement

2. karandpr

karandpr Android Expert

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Tethering is used if you want to share your 3G/Edge connection on your PC .
    Dont you have KIES or mass storage option in phone on USB connection ?:thinking:

3. Kepler

Kepler Lurker
    None

Jun 2, 2011
    London
    Thanks for the reply. However, more by luck than judgment, and following a hint that I saw elsewhere, I went Settings->Applications->Development->USB Debugging. On arriving there I found that USB Debugging was selected as the default for when a USB connection was made. I unticked it and, lo and behold, I was asked if I wanted Mass Storage! Also, it looks like USB Debugging might be the default setting so I may have to switch it off each time, but that's no great problem. Why Samsung have to make life so difficult I do not know.

Anyway, thanks again for replying; at least I now know what tethering is. :)

4. jaikrishna

jaikrishna Newbie
    None

Mar 31, 2011
    :D I'm bothered why you guys worry so much.
    Just connect the phone to the USB(before installing kies) and there will be a notification at the top "USB Connected". Click on it and "Turn on USB Storage". Simple :)

5. Kepler

Kepler Lurker
    None

Jun 2, 2011
    London
    I should have explained that the point was that I didn't want Kies - I'm trying to keep to a minimum the number of little-used programs on my PC. I wouldn't need all the bells and whistles that Kies no doubt has; all I was after was a plain vanilla method of transferring mp3's from PC to phone. I'm just surprised that, compared to other phones, Samsung seem bent on making this so damn difficult!

6. jaikrishna

jaikrishna Newbie
    None

Mar 31, 2011
    :D Again Samsung did not make it any difficult, It is android's default.

If you're bothered with making just a two taps to use it as a mass storage, then try iPhone, It wouldn't even respond till you install iTunes