1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Using Tmobile Sensation in Hong Kong

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by LunchBB, Sep 23, 2011.

1. LunchBB

LunchBB Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 20, 2011
    I'm visiting Hong Kong now. I didn't sign up any Tmobile International roaming plan. First thing I noticed at the hotel WIFI connection, WIFI calling kicks in. Then I received calls from the US as well as calling back to the US just like domestic call. Awesome! However, when there is no WIFI presents, the phone is dead.

I called Tmobile to unlock the Sensation. Within 24 hours, I received an email with the unlock code and the instructions.

Bought a prepaid SIM card at CSL/New World. It includes certain talk minutes. It also have daily or weekly unlimited 3G data. The unlimited 3G weekly rate is HK $78 which is just about US $10.

Loaded the card in, I was expecting to see 2G connection. To my surprise, the 4G icon shows up. I'm pretty sure it's 3G. I didn't test the speed but all the apps loads very quickly. Then, whatsapp and viber continues to work even a different sim card is in.

Very happy.

Advertisement

Vampivo likes this.
  2. Vampivo

Vampivo Lurker
    None

Oct 11, 2011
    Lol... I just got a slide 4g for sen ... And happy to hear this from u cuz i'm going back too....^^~

3. jckwpt

jckwpt Newbie
    None

Nov 16, 2011

LunchBB,

Im planning to do the same: use my Sensation in Hong Kong as well. Can you confirm for me that you were using the Tmobile Sensation 4G, just to be sure?

Thanks a bunch!

4. LunchBB

None

Jan 20, 2011
    Yes it is the Tmobile Sensation 4G. You have to call Tmo to have your phone unlocked first. Then in Hong Kong, you can still make calls and receive calls from the US using WIFI calling (when you have free WIFI at the HK airport).

Get the prepaid SIM card at CSL, or New World, or One Two Free shop. they have retail shop everywhere in Hong Kong. They have HK $77 unlimited 3G for a week. That's about $10 US for unlimited 3G data. The phone will show the 4G icon, but it was only 3G.

I wish they have that kind of $10 per week unlimited 3G data plan in the US.

jckwpt likes this.
  5. jckwpt

jckwpt Newbie
    None

Nov 16, 2011

Thanks a bunch LunchBB! Youre the first hope Ive had in a long while of searching to see if it would work or not overseas!!!
    On the TMo site, it states the sensation 4G has this 3G capability: UMTS: I (2100); II (1900); IV (AWS 1700/2100). T-Mobile Support Community: Tech specs - HTC Sensation 4G
    However, Tmobile's site (as well as others) states that CSL is in the UTMS 900, 1800 frequency range. All along Im thinking that Im going to sell my sensation 4g on ebay cuz it wont work overseas in Asia until I found your thread!!!

I know that as Ive done searches online, there seems to be a discrepancy on the frequency capability of the sensation, both international and the TMo 4G one. Im sort of curious now as to what frequencies it was using on your CSL simcard.

6. LunchBB

None

Jan 20, 2011
    of course Tmo 4G phone has 3G capability. Unlike LTE which is a completely different technology, Tmo 4G is indeed 3G technology with increased speed.

CSL acquired New World and One Two Free. So CSL might have one of the frequencies Tmo has. It dosn't matter. I was just in Hong Kong in october bought the prepaid SIM card at New World retail outlet. Use it for 2 weeks unlimited 3G data. sweet =)

7. LunchBB

None

Jan 20, 2011
    Oh when you are in Hong Kong, other than the free WIFI provided by PCCW at the Airport, don't connect to any PCCW WIFI hotspot elsewhere in Hong Kong. They are nasty. A year ago I was in Hong Kong signed up the 1 month prepaid WIFI hotspot service. They continue to bill me saying I signed a one year contract which I did not.

8. jckwpt

jckwpt Newbie
    None

Nov 16, 2011
    I was there over the summer and was using the OneTwoFree simcard on a regular edge speed. Not too bad, but Im dying to try out the 3G speeds. Sorry to hear about those wifi sharks - totally sounds like a PCCW/KaShingLi tactic! Speaking of public wifi, wouldnt you think that in Hong Kong with broadband so prevalent and a society that revolves around the internet, wifi would be free in most places?
    I hear that the city of Taipei has unlimited and seamless wifi with transmitters almost at most major intersections.