• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Using vibrant as a dumbphone, expected battery life?

I had my first vibrant for a week. The best battery life I could get was like 20 hours. This new one I got I have had for 2 days. Not even done the charge, drain, charge and I am at 66% with 26 hours remaining. 40 hours total life according to battery monitor.
Nothing to do with your post, but thought it was interesting.
I am having the home button not working big time on this phone. As well as the GPS. So I will probably exchange it again but keep the battery.

Upvote 0
Sometimes you just want a good ol' fashioned phone phone with some stamina, in-between bouts of Avatar playing. I'll be happy if it can manage 3 days with phone only functions. I mean laptops can last 4+ hours browsing the web but only about 2 or less playing some heavy gaming. I would imagine phones are even better at power management, although android sounds trickier. Phones these days are so thin I could attach a dumbphone to the back with duct tape and use as a backup.

Are these wildly different battery numbers based on vibrant phone exchanges based on poor quality control for the phone? Or for the battery? Because I want to eBay a Vibrant and I doubt I can exchange it if its faulty.

Upvote 0
I don't get it... they make phones for people that just want to talk. They're typically cheap (free with contract) and have a flipping mechanism. This phone is meant to be charged every night and enjoyed to its full potential during the day. Or vice versa if you're one of those night owls.

Not to mention the extra charges required by the data plan for the Vibrant. It's not like any carrier will let you run a smartphone without a data plan.

Upvote 0
I had my first vibrant for a week. The best battery life I could get was like 20 hours. This new one I got I have had for 2 days. Not even done the charge, drain, charge and I am at 66% with 26 hours remaining. 40 hours total life according to battery monitor.
Nothing to do with your post, but thought it was interesting.
I am having the home button not working big time on this phone. As well as the GPS. So I will probably exchange it again but keep the battery.

Im lucky to get 12 hours out of mine. Usually only 10 before it needs to be charged but didnt use it as much today so im at 12 now. Wil probably get 13. Can i get a new battery at T-Mobile?

Upvote 0
Not to mention the extra charges required by the data plan for the Vibrant. It's not like any carrier will let you run a smartphone without a data plan.

I know I'm in the minority here and its suppose to be a smartphone and yada yada but I'm asking a simple valid question and am fully aware of what it is capable of so how I use the phone is none of your concern and you shouldn't be convincing me otherwise without good cause. And T-mobile does not force you to have a data plan with an android phone if you buy it off contract. I can also get a lot more hours of mp3 playback from a cheap mp3 player, but that isn't the point of a smartphone. It does everything and consolidates them, but doesn't do any one thing in particular well. Nor do you have to try and turn everything on when you don't need their functions at that given time. And I thought this was so obvious...

Upvote 0
I am a new android user and on I have had my phone for a week now and the battery is still the same. its pretty bad for my liking. this what i had running. twitter widget updating evert 5 mins. a facebook widget updating every 30 mins. a pandora widget. live wallpaper screen timeout 15 secs. screen at its dimmest all the time. ohh and facebook wasnt always log on but for the most part it was. twitter was always logged on and i got about 5 1/2 hours with this. i want to know if this is just me using the phone way too much to expect better stuff or if it is just my battery and if you are getting way better battery explain what you have running it would really help me out.
now i have mad some changes to what i do but i still dont get much more battery and to me it feels like it is taking away from the android experience that i have in my head haha. i am new to android so please take it easy on me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones