• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Using WiFi in Airplane Mode

Kallmeyer

Lurker
Aug 13, 2021
I've spent a few weeks looking for a solution online for this problem, and just cannot find an answer.

While in airplane mode while connected to a WiFi network with broadband access my Motorola Edge+ with Android 11 (fully updated) tells my apps that I don't have network access.

A restart of the phone solves this issue...for a few minutes.

-Some apps work anyway.
-Other apps don't work at all.
-WiFi calling works.

I live in a location without cell coverage, so when I'm at home it's critical that this work correctly.

I'm well and truly stumped by this one.

This depends on your device, but most modern phones allow you to use Wi-Fi even when in airplane mode. When you enable airplane mode, Wi-Fi will shut off, but you can enable it again manually. On your Android device, swipe down from the top of the screen twice to open Quick Settings again, then tap Wi-Fi.

Upvote 0
I strongly suspect that this is a problem with Android 11 or the device itself. I'm just hoping that someone has had the same problem and found a solution. I would hate to have to wait for an Android update or worse not be able to fix it if it's a hardware issue.
well it's not android 11. i have 11 on my note 10+ and i have zero issues.....so.....

Upvote 0
I strongly suspect that this is a problem with Android 11 or the device itself. I'm just hoping that someone has had the same problem and found a solution. I would hate to have to wait for an Android update or worse not be able to fix it if it's a hardware issue.
I can't rule out it being a problem with Moto's Android 11 implementation for the Edge+, since I don't have one to test. But if so that would be a Moto problem rather than an Android 11 problem, since it works fine on other Android 11 devices (including my Pixel).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones