1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Using WIFI without Sprint Service

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Starry4ever, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Starry4ever

Starry4ever Lurker
    None

Jan 10, 2012
    Is it possible to use my phone without a data service plan. I think it is a prepaid plan currently. I don't know because I was given this phone for research study on my media use. I want to be able to use the internet and android apps still when my contract with the research company expires(not the cellphone service), because I get to keep the phone.They pay my sprint bill. I don't care about phone or texting. I have looked online and can't determine for sure. I get conflicting answers.

Advertisement

2. RazzMaTazz

RazzMaTazz Android Expert
    None

Jan 28, 2011
    Yes, you can use the phone on WiFi without a Sprint plan, just like I can use my phone (over WiFi) when I'm not in Sprint's cell coverage. If you get a free Google Voice number, take advantage of stuff like Google Voice, Google Talk, get a SIP client/voice-over-IP app (like GrooveIP), etc, you can even make free phone calls, text, and video conference over WiFi too. Android and most Android apps are agnostic about the Internet connection.

Of course for things like GPS-navigation, where you receive map data on-the-fly as you drive, you'd need to figure out a solution, like paying for a GPS navigation app that includes map data to be stored on your SD card. And of course for Sprint apps, like SprintTV won't work. Otherwise, you're fine. Then again it sounds like you probably have a cellular solution for that stuff.

la sal likes this.
  3. Starry4ever

Starry4ever Lurker
    None

Jan 10, 2012
    Thank you so much for your reply! I'm glad because then I was thinking I'd have to sell the phone so I could buy a tablet. It sounds like it will work like one pretty much. I have a Google Voice account already so that would work.

4. erickrocks1126

None

Jan 15, 2012

Ditto to Razzmatazz's post. I use mine only as a mini-tablet and as a root/ROM guinea pig. It has a bad esn, bought from eBay that way, so I can't use it as a cell phone on Sprint's network if I wanted. But that didn't matter because I'd only be using it as a tablet, which it works great as.

RomansVIII28 likes this.
  5. RomansVIII28

RomansVIII28 Newbie
    None

Feb 22, 2012
    Male
    Erick:

I bought an LG Optimus S with a bad ESN to use pretty much the same as you do. I got it new in the box for 70.00 plus free shipping off ebay, should arrive soon.

It seems to be a nice little Android mini-tablet/phone based on the reviews I've read thus far. I'm looking forward to trying it out, and may use it as a back-up to my I-phone 4 with VOIP calling too.