• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Using WIFI without Sprint Service

Starry4ever

Lurker
Jan 10, 2012
Is it possible to use my phone without a data service plan. I think it is a prepaid plan currently. I don't know because I was given this phone for research study on my media use. I want to be able to use the internet and android apps still when my contract with the research company expires(not the cellphone service), because I get to keep the phone.They pay my sprint bill. I don't care about phone or texting. I have looked online and can't determine for sure. I get conflicting answers.

Yes, you can use the phone on WiFi without a Sprint plan, just like I can use my phone (over WiFi) when I'm not in Sprint's cell coverage. If you get a free Google Voice number, take advantage of stuff like Google Voice, Google Talk, get a SIP client/voice-over-IP app (like GrooveIP), etc, you can even make free phone calls, text, and video conference over WiFi too. Android and most Android apps are agnostic about the Internet connection.

Of course for things like GPS-navigation, where you receive map data on-the-fly as you drive, you'd need to figure out a solution, like paying for a GPS navigation app that includes map data to be stored on your SD card. And of course for Sprint apps, like SprintTV won't work. Otherwise, you're fine. Then again it sounds like you probably have a cellular solution for that stuff.

Reactions: la sal
Upvote 0
Is it possible to use my phone without a data service plan. I think it is a prepaid plan currently. I don't know because I was given this phone for research study on my media use. I want to be able to use the internet and android apps still when my contract with the research company expires(not the cellphone service), because I get to keep the phone.They pay my sprint bill. I don't care about phone or texting. I have looked online and can't determine for sure. I get conflicting answers.

Ditto to Razzmatazz's post. I use mine only as a mini-tablet and as a root/ROM guinea pig. It has a bad esn, bought from eBay that way, so I can't use it as a cell phone on Sprint's network if I wanted. But that didn't matter because I'd only be using it as a tablet, which it works great as.

Reactions: RomansVIII28
Upvote 0
Erick:

I bought an LG Optimus S with a bad ESN to use pretty much the same as you do. I got it new in the box for 70.00 plus free shipping off ebay, should arrive soon.

It seems to be a nice little Android mini-tablet/phone based on the reviews I've read thus far. I'm looking forward to trying it out, and may use it as a back-up to my I-phone 4 with VOIP calling too.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones