1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Using your own ring tones

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by SueMac4346, Sep 28, 2014.

1. SueMac4346

SueMac4346 Lurker

I'm new to your forum and the Droid phone. I have a Galaxy Note 3 that I picked up last week. It has been a challenge coming from the iPhone and all things Mac. Between the users manual and doing a lot of searching on the internet, I've figured out a lot.

One problem I haven't solved is how to use your own music as a ring tone. I did find that I had to download the app, Android File Transfer since I'm on a Mac and I move a song from the computer to the Music file. So it is now on the computer.

I then went to contacts and picked the person whom I want to associate with that ring tone. When I click on the ringtone line it says Default. I clicked on that and choose "Add", then the Music file where I see this ring tone that I moved from the computer to the phone. Then I selected the name of the muisc for the ring tone. I see a check mark, but the only options are Copy, Move, Delete or Cancel. I have not figured out what the next step is. There is no Save option to make that the ring tone I want to use.

What am I missing?

Thanks, SueMac

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. SkyJackpot

SkyJackpot Android Enthusiast

Using File Expert HD from the Google Play store allows you to sort all of your music files automatically just by clicking a button to see all music files on your Android device, just in case you want to search for more in the future.

File Expert HD also allows you to convert any music file to a system ringtone just at the touch of a button.

Once it is a system ringtone you can go to a contact in your phone and go to the "ringtone' option and then choose a ringtone.

The name of the ringtone in the list of ringtone that are available when you press the contact ringtone button will be the song title of the music file you just converted into a ringtone. So if the music file you converted to a ringtong is called Freedom - Songs & Wind, then "Songs & Wind" is what you would be looking for to choose as the ringtone

Greetings :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtFpPT9gNdY

3. SueMac4346

SueMac4346 Lurker

Thanks SkyJackpot. I downloaded the app and watched the video, altho, couldn't get any sound. I'll see how it goes.

Sue

4. SueMac4346

SueMac4346 Lurker

Great! I was able to set some personal ring tones. Thanks for the help.

Sue

5. SkyJackpot

SkyJackpot Android Enthusiast

That's okay I purposefully didn't record with sound to minimise the size of the video recording, as I didn't feel audio would add to the description of the video other than being able to hear the ringtone work.

SueMac4346 likes this.
  6. drexappeal

drexappeal Extreme Android User

I'd give airdroid a try, for transferring ringtones from your Mac to you phone. I'd imagine there wouldn't be too many and it's a wireless way of transferring files without the hassle.

Other alternatives are using a file explorer that has FTP capabilities. The oem file explorer app has the capabilities, as well as Solid Explorer and ES File Explorer. My favorite, for FTP connection, is Solid Explorer, but all three will work.

Another alternative, to transferring files, are using a OTG (On The Go) cable. One end is a micro-USB (or for the S5 and Note 3 micro-USB 3.0), while the other end is a USB port. Just copy the files onto a flash drive/removable drive, then connect the OTG to your phone while also connecting the flash/removable drive to the other end. From there, just use your file explorer to transfer the ringtones.

Lastly, you have the option of loading the ringtones onto a cloud storage application (Google Drive, Box, Dropbox, Mediashare, etc.). Once you have the ringtones uploaded, you can download the app, log in, then download the files onto your phone.

Now, as for placement of any Ringtones/Alerts, there should be folders on the Internal storage area that you can place those into, so that they will constantly show up. In the past, I would put my alerts/ringtones on my microSD card, to save internal storage space, but with the 32gb, I haven't had to be overly concerned about that (as compared to the 16gb versions of the past).

SueMac4346 likes this.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 release date was September 2013. Features and Specs include a 5.7" inch screen, 13MP camera, 3GB RAM, Snapdragon 800 processor, and 3200mAh battery.

September 2013
Release Date
Reviews