• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Utimate M835 customization guide

Tokenpoke

Android Expert
Feb 10, 2011
Miami, FL
www.facebook.com
ITS FINALLY STARTED!

first things first.....

FAQ:

a few questions i have gotten PM'ed to me..

1. Rooting can be done with gingerbreak 2.1 but you CANNOT UNROOT.

2. Metro PC's apps can all be removed with a root file explorer (I used a paid app called root explorer) simply go into the "cust" folder and delete any unwanted apps from the app folder. Reboot afterwords.

3. bootstrapsound.oog (booting sound) is in system>media>audio (you can find custom boot sounds through Google)

4. Bootanimation.zip (startup animation) is in cust>metropcs same deal as bootsound.

5. The audio thing only runs when you use headphones and is optimized for earbuds.

6. Yes, once rooted you can tether using wifi or USB.

7. If your screen is twitching out just tap the power button and unlock the phone. Dunno why it happens but happens more in humid weather.

8.Yes, there are two speakers on the exterior of the phone for stereo speaker play.

9. The light is a battery indicator. Green, yellow, red, dead.

10. There is no cwm as far as I know but I am working on it as well as I can. If you have Linux and are willing to help please pm me.

That's it for now

ROOTING AND REMOVING BLOATWARE (METRO APPS)

Rooting the m835 is a charm using gingerbreak 1.2 found here... http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=578771&d=1303829207
simply install the .apk (save it to your sd card and open it)

note: you must first open your settings and go to Application settings and enable unknown sources and usb debugging

after you root install a root exporer (search market, i only know of 1 that does the whole job, no problem its actually called root explorer) you can use it to look in the system>app and cust>metropcs>app directories and delete unwanted apps. (will post exact apps safe to remove/replace soon)

you can also use app backup programs (i use titanium backup but i know there are others.

Reactions: sosuaves
Upvote 0
whats the stock recovery update for and how do u use it :eek:
You download it, put it on your SD card "as is", boot into Recovery, hit "apply update from sdcard" and the update.zip should be there as an option.

To boot into Recovery, hold down the Volume up, Call, and Power button at the same time.

Btw Tokenpoke, I see several errors in the typing and code text. xD

Upvote 0
You download it, put it on your SD card "as is", boot into Recovery, hit "apply update from sdcard" and the update.zip should be there as an option.

To boot into Recovery, hold down the Volume up, Call, and Power button at the same time.

Btw Tokenpoke, I see several errors in the typing and code text. xD

Yeah, my l key I'd broken

Oh, note... I didn't build Amy of these files or test the update.zip yet.

Upvote 0
Anybody know where the MetroNavigator apk is hiding? It's not in the "cust" folder where all the other metro bloat was. I couldn't find it or a couple other apps (namely Richpad and Documents to Go) via adb or root explorer. Thanks in advance

hey bro open root explorer and hit on system folder instead of "cust" then hit on apps folder then you should see the rest metropcs apps there..

Reactions: sosuaves
Upvote 0
STOCK RECOVERY UPDATE.ZIP
http://playfuldroidz.com/media/m835/UPDATE.zip
thanks goes to playfulgod for this.

i dunno if i did something wrong, but when i tried to flash this ROM i get installation aborted in both UJ and CWM
further, when i tried to fastboot it in, i got
"error: update package has no android-info.txt or android-product.txt"
can i just copy/paste those files from another rom?

Upvote 0
I installed root explorer (paid version ) but when i try to delete the apps it says apk cannot be deleted because the file system is read only

someone PLEASE HELP

When you open root explorer you need to toggle r/o to r/w which is basically taking you from read only to read write access then you have the power to do whatever you want with whatever you choose on the phone /sd card.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones