• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help v30 won't boot, not sure what to replace

Hi new friends!

So My Aunt had an LG V30. She has actually already bought a new phone, but she may have some pictures left on her V30 and also if I can get it working again within 14 days, she won't have needed to spend the extra money on a new phone and we can return it. So I'm wondering if I can fix it.

Here's what I know happened.
She had the phone on her nightstand charging, it was at around 80% and there were no signs of trouble.
She did something else for less than an hour (reading a book before bed).
She went back to her phone and the screen was black and it wouldn't turn on.

• She tried a couple different charging cables.
  • Tried the hardware reset buttons (power+volume down) for a good minute. No signs of charging, no signs of the hard reset doing anything.
  • Took out and returned the sim card
  • Took it to the verizon store (shockingly the couldn't do anything...)
  • Took it to a local phone repair shop. I wasn't there so I don't know if the tech got the full story, he took it apart and said he couldn't do anything without ordering parts. He suggested it may be either the charging port or the battery.
Now I am comfortable replacing phone parts, and know I can get those parts for ~$20 a piece.
However, I'm a bit skeptical. Now she did have some charging problems a month or 2 ago, but a new charging cable fixed that with no more issues. She hasn't had any battery issues, i.e. it wasn't showing any tell tale signs of wear. So for it to go from charging at 80% and going up to completely bricked, I'm wondering if it's worth spending the money considering, it doesn't really seem indiciative of a charging or battery problem. Has anyone else had to have a v30 battery replaced or charging port? Did it just go from 0 to dead like this?

Thanks!

my bet is that it is the battery. the phone was made in 2017 which is right where batteries start to fail. batteries tend to last on average 3-4 years. so that is my bet. if you are a DYI guy, then go here:LG V30 Battery Replacement Guide

if not, then you will have to decide if it is worth the cost to get it replaced by a professional. or if it is worth just replacing the phone with a new phone.

Upvote 0
@Dannydet I tried every usb-c charger and wireless charger I own, which is not a small number of chargers. I think she was using google photos at one point but then forgot that I set that up for her and may have uninstalled it.... Not 100% sure.

@ocnbrze I realize the timing makes sense for the battery to have gone dead, but the behavior of it dying doesn't. Usually as a battery dies it shows signs of wear. There were none of those signs. Have you ever seen a phone battery go from 80% to completely non-working? I'm wondering if that's something others have seen before spending the money on the parts.

Upvote 0
@ocnbrze I realize the timing makes sense for the battery to have gone dead, but the behavior of it dying doesn't. Usually as a battery dies it shows signs of wear. There were none of those signs. Have you ever seen a phone battery go from 80% to completely non-working? I'm wondering if that's something others have seen before spending the money on the parts.[/QUOTE]
i have not personally, but i have seen it here on this forum before. it does happen where the battery all of a sudden will loose or not hold a charge.

Reactions: DarkSideMilk
Upvote 0
@ocnbrze Thank you good sir. If it's not so unheard of then maybe I'll give it a go.

@Dannydet Thank you, I am aware of how to work google photos, but I do appreciate that not all do, and have it set up for her again on her new phone, so she has at least some of her old pictures. The possibility of pictures is only 1 reason to fix it. There's also the matter of not needing to have bought a phone at full price. Plus if she does choose to keep the new phone, having this one working would let us trade it in during a promotional trade in deal making it worth a couple hundred dollars.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones