1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

vacation to carribean.. help with phone

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by fran33s, Feb 12, 2011.

1. fran33s

fran33s Newbie

I have a Samsung fascinate. I have the unlimited data package and unlimited texting. When I go on vacation to the carribean, from what I understand there is a texting charge since I'm out of the united states? My question is, will I get coverage and can I use something like an app such as gochat Facebook chat, Skype, or gmail chat to.communicate without be charged?

Advertisement

2. qwer

qwer Member

It may be different with US carriers (I doubt it, though) but our carriers here in Europe charge a lot for roaming abroad. It's very, very expensive so don't do it. Using wifi is ok, though. Text messages aren't super expensive even abroad (still a lot more expensive than back home so I try not to use them too much) but data and calling is out of the question.

If you're away a long time, you might want to consider buying a prepaid sim card for calling and texting abroad.

3. fran33s

fran33s Newbie

So using an app like Skype to chat is out of the question? Ill have to ask Verizon when I.get the chance. What happens if you have a global phone? How do they work? My dad has a blackberry bold...?

4. dan330

dan330 Extreme Android User

using apps like skype.. uses data!!!!!
    data comes from the internet connection.

they will charge you crazy connection and data fees!!!!

you can find a free wifi... and get data that way... but to use roaming cell data connection will kill you!!!! have you see the girl in mexico last yr??? her bill was in the thousands of dollars!!!

5. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert

Call your carrier's international support group or check their web site for international roaming rates. The roaming rates apply to calls, texts and data while you're travelling. You'll also want to verify with them that your device will work in the countries you're travelling to.

They work on GSM networks. Non-global Verizon devices won't.

6. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

I do a good bit of travelling abroad and if you're not careful, international roaming fees can pile up without you being aware of it.

As stated, if you don't sign up for your carrier's international data roaming, you could be charged hefty fees simply by sync'ing to the local networks. On a cruise through the Caribbean a couple of years ago, many of the people on board reported getting home to outrageous bills, even though they didn't make any calls. Every port was a new network.

Facebook, Skype and Google all use data, but if you disable data roaming and only use WiFi you should be okay, assuming you have WiFi available where you are going. And disable auto sync except when connected to WiFi. As for texting, you get charged for both incoming and outgoing, so if you are a heavy texter, then an international texting plan is essential. With AT&T they offer 50 text's for $9.95. without the plan it's $.50 each.