1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

various keyboards on NC and how about a back button

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by boatman, Feb 17, 2011.

1. boatman

boatman Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 19, 2009
    I use swiftkey on my droid, i put in on my nc, but when i try to set it to be default, nothing happens? Anyone else have this issue with non stock kybds?

Also, when using the browser, I can't figure out a way to close out of the app and get back to the 'home' screen. I know there is no back button, I have softkeys and ADW launcher installed. What do you guys do?

Advertisement

2. nathan312

nathan312 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 1, 2010
    Student
    Georgia
    I use "thumb keyboard" and have no problems...I don't have swiftkey, however. I did try to install swype with no such luck though (it doesn't appear in the "alternate keyboards" under NookColor Settings app. The "Gingerbread" keyboard that came with it doesn't work for me either...oh well I love the thumb keyboard AND the multitouch that comes stock with it (autonooter maybe?).

I use softkeys too, but if you look at the bottom of the screen (not sure about stock browser...I use Dolphin HD), right beside the "Up" arrow for the B&N features, there should be a tiny button with three lines going horizontally and that is the "Menu" button. Press that (in dolphin hd) and a menu pops up and you can just press "Exit".

Hope that helps...somewhat lol!

-Nathan

3. trankster

trankster Well-Known Member
    None

May 3, 2010
    CPA
    Irvine, CA
    For Back, you should be able to swype your finger across the bottom of the screen from right to left. I am also using Button Savior instead of SoftKeys for Back and Menu.

I installed Thumb Keyboard and SlideIt Keyboard, but have not been able to get either to work yet. (I may not have installed them in the system\app folder because I cannot find the file even though downloaded and installed from Market.)

4. nathan312

None

Mar 1, 2010
    Student
    Georgia
    If you have Root Explorer, Thumb Keyboard will be found in data/app and it's called "com.beansoft.keyboardplus.apk".

Btw, thanks for the tip on swiping your finger along the bottom...never knew that!

5. bgrutter

bgrutter Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 20, 2010
    I just installed Thumb Keyboard. However, I can't seem to enable it. When I go to system settings and click Keyboard, it just dumps me to the Home screen. If I go to /data/app and click on com.beansoft.keyboardplus.apk and click install, I get a window that says the following "Installation of download apks is not supported." I don't know where to go to enable installation of third party apps like I would on my phone.

How do I make this work?

6. bgrutter

bgrutter Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 20, 2010
    Nevermind. Another idiot question. Incase anyone is wondering. You need to go to "NookColor Tools". Problem solved.

7. cabbie

cabbie Android Expert
    None

Mar 23, 2010
    (assuming its not like swype where it doesnt support the screen resolution and just wont work)...put the .apk in /system/app via root explorer or adb

*fuzzy memory* but you shouldnt need to install it once its in /system/app. just copy/paste the apk there, then...

use nookcolor tools app to switch it

8. nathan312

None

Mar 1, 2010
    Student
    Georgia
    Your "fuzzy memory" serves you well sir.

9. ob1j3d1

ob1j3d1 Newbie
    None

Sep 23, 2010
    Using the "stock" browser, you can use the built in BACK (left facing arrow) in the top left to "back out" of the program.