• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

vehicle mode??

I preordered my samsung car dock that has the 3 pin connectors, i heard that the GNex doesnt have the vehicle mode so how is that going to work?

Are you across the pond? It seems as the US version of the GN does not have an official pogo pin car dock that I am aware of.

As for the "car mode" I have that, but I'm rooted and it came with the ROM. I can't remember if the stock 4.0.2 had this :thinking:

There are a few 3rd party apps on market that will net you a "car mode" though.

I want this dock I hope the VZ version will get one!

Upvote 0
Are you across the pond? It seems as the US version of the GN does not have an official pogo pin car dock that I am aware of.

As for the "car mode" I have that, but I'm rooted and it came with the ROM. I can't remember if the stock 4.0.2 had this :thinking:

There are a few 3rd party apps on market that will net you a "car mode" though.

I want this dock I hope the VZ version will get one!

The problem with all the car dock apps I have tested is none take over the HOME key like they did in other versions of Android.

If you press the home key (and you are in the car mode) you want it to bring you back to your car dock app.

Reactions: jbdan
Upvote 0
I'm thinking that it's going to take a mount that has a near field chip in it to get what other phones were providing with a magnet. But of course it will likely be able to do many other cool things when you dock it too. Another case of buying a product not fully baked. I just hope it eventually happens. Too many times these things are well conceived and never finished until the "next generation". Then again these days they seem to just keep kicking the can down the road.

Reactions: jbdan
Upvote 0
First it only works with ONE car dock app installed. I installed my Car Dock of choice (Car Dock Home v3). Then I went into Apps and disabled the Google Car Dock (same page as 'clear defaults'). Next, I use tasker to put the phone into car dock mode when connected to my car's BT.

Upvote 0
When I used my non rooted Bionic, I wanted an alternative car home application. I ran across discussions over at XDA using Google's Car Home application. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=796439

Page 1 lists the Car Home Launcher apk and page 4 lists Car Home v.2.2.1.4 apk. The launcher is required to list in the app drawer. Download both apk's, install the launcher apk first, and then the Car Home apk. This allows a user to open the app drawer and launch Car Home. I added the Car Home app to one of my Nova dock pages and the app launches successfully. This works great for my application because I use a Soundgate car dock, which does not use magnets to activate car mode. One thing I noticed is the the app sometimes continues to run after I exit. I normally check running applications and force close when I am finished using the application. Also, the dial pad does not display in landscape mode. This might be a workaround for non-rooted uses until Google releases a version compatible with the Galaxy Nexus.

Hf0Fr.png
[/IMG]

Upvote 0
When I used my non rooted Bionic, I wanted an alternative car home application. I ran across discussions over at XDA using Google's Car Home application. Google Car Home - xda-developers

Page 1 lists the Car Home Launcher apk and page 4 lists Car Home v.2.2.1.4 apk. The launcher is required to list in the app drawer. Download both apk's, install the launcher apk first, and then the Car Home apk. This allows a user to open the app drawer and launch Car Home. I added the Car Home app to one of my Nova dock pages and the app launches successfully. This works great for my application because I use a Soundgate car dock, which does not use magnets to activate car mode. One thing I noticed is the the app sometimes continues to run after I exit. I normally check running applications and force close when I am finished using the application. Also, the dial pad does not display in landscape mode. This might be a workaround for non-rooted uses until Google releases a version compatible with the Galaxy Nexus.

Thats weird, I tried installing the car home launcher and app from the link you gave, and it would never actually open. If I tried to launch it, it would immediately come up with a message box that said the app had stopped. The launcher would keep running, though, so if i pressed the home button, it would try to go to the car home and it'd die and give me that message again.

EDIT:
Nevermind. I re-read your post about using the 2.2.1.4 version instead of the one found on page one of the thread and all's well now. Thanks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones