• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Vehicle mount that works with cover?

I definitely want a vehicle mount for my Verizon Galaxy Nexus, to use with navigation and hands-free speakerphone calls. Right now, I'm not seeing anything that makes use of the 3-pin connector.

I'm not sure if I want to have a phone cover. Don't want to turn this sleek phone into a block of cheese. Having to remove the phone from a cover to go in the mount is out of the question. Are there any relatively low-profile covers that work with a belt holster AND with a vehicle mount?

Great question. I would like to know too. I kept my old phone (OG Droid) naked because I hated taking the case off just to put it in the stock car dock. I was planning on doing the same with my G-Nex; just getting the stock Samsung car dock w/ pin connectors. But it seems Samsung doesn't care to release this dock in the states for their flagship phone for some reason. It's very annoying keeping my phone floating around my cab instead of docked nicely in a windshield mount. I definitely want to make use of those 3 pins though so I have to worry about messing with the charging cable when I get in the car.

Upvote 0
I use this one. I did find that modifying it a little helps. I used a razor knife to cut out the lower two or three rubber fins on the Side gripper. This lets the other other ones over lap the edges of the cover to hold the phone much more securely....

It opens with a button on the side. When you press it it ratchets the gripper open. Simply push together to close on the phone....

Not bad for $20.00....

Rocketfish™ Mobile - Vehicle Mount - Black - RF-VMU5

Upvote 0
I'm using an Otterbox Defender, and picked up a Cygnett DashView Universal car mount. It works great -- well, pretty well -- in that it's extremely low profile, and doesn't have any "hard set" brackets that need to be set.

The two spring-loaded pinchers spread **just** wide enough to get this fat case into its grip, and the spring force is relatively high when spread this far, so it's not quite as easy as snapping a Garmin unit into its factory dock.

The dock also twists between landscape and portrait with ease, and the tilt adjustment is pretty easy, too.

I've pretty much given up on the 3-pin connector, seeing as how it'll never work with any case, not even a thin skin.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones