1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips Vehicle Navigation Mount for Droid Turbo coming?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by StargateNH, Oct 28, 2014.

1. StargateNH

StargateNH Lurker
    None

Nov 4, 2013
    U.S.A.
    Any word if there is a planned active 1st party FACTORY vehicle navigation mount for the new Droid Turbo? Haven't seen anything in the articles about any accessories yet actually. Thanks!

Advertisement

2. doogald

doogald Android Expert

Jan 7, 2010

I think probably because I read that there is a magnetic sensor like the maxx had, but I haven't heard for sure.

3. StargateNH

StargateNH Lurker
    None

Nov 4, 2013
    U.S.A.
    I sure hope your right. I had not heard about the magnet in the Turbo. Where did you read that? Would love to see the article.

4. doogald

doogald Android Expert

Jan 7, 2010

See http://www.motorola.com/us/droid-tu...90&PublisherName=VigLink#specs-droid-turbo-us - under "sensors", there's a "Hall effect sensor" which switches based on a magnetic field. In the past, droids have used the Hall effect sensor for car docks and desktop docks - turning on the special dock mode when you put the phone in the dock, which has a magnet in a specific place. So, I'm just guessing that the Hall effect sensor in the turbo is for a dock...

PeninaD and Thom like this.
  5. StargateNH

StargateNH Lurker
    None

Nov 4, 2013
    U.S.A.
    Wow, I never heard of a hall effect sensor before. I learned something tonight! Thanks. That gives me hope for a dock.

6. doogald

doogald Android Expert

Jan 7, 2010
  7. Bearcats

Bearcats Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 19, 2012
    USA
    Me too. I am really curious how that proximity sensor really works for waking up phone for time and notifications. That really has me interested as I am tired of having to push a button to see what is going on with the phone.

I would love to get "updated" with just the wave of a hand!

8. Mega Mormon

Mega Mormon Lurker
    None

Nov 5, 2014
    I would love a car dock! Had the one for my RAZR maxx HD, and loved everything about it! Even had an app that would start up recording and act like a dash cam! Such a great selling point for me...

id_ray86 likes this.
  9. StargateNH

StargateNH Lurker
    None

Nov 4, 2013
    U.S.A.
    Well...just bought a ProClip USA mount for my Ballistic Nylon Droid Turbo. Didn't go well. See here on my G+ post. Spoiler...bon't buy it if you have a Ballistic Nylon model.

LizMac likes this.
  10. PressureDrop

PressureDrop PressureDrop
    VIP Member
    None

Dec 15, 2010
    Male
    removing problems
    Decatur, GA
  11. vzwuser76

vzwuser76 Android Expert
    None

I picked up the XProDock Connect from iBolt. It's a completely universal dock, with an NFC tag included. The NFC tag triggers iBolt's dock mode app (third party obviously).

IIRC I read somewhere that the magnet in the DT is for the flip case that shrinks the screen to fill the window on the case. I imagine they feel that driving mode in Moto Assist is the replacement for OEM dock mode.

12. doogald

doogald Android Expert

Jan 7, 2010
    I think driving docks have gone the way of the dodo and Google expects people to use Android auto in their cars instead - when it comes out.

13. kmf

kmf Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 28, 2010
    Male
    Northeast Iowa
    Android Auto will be a great option, but you will need to have a brand new vehicle for it. Hopefully car dash mounts/docks will stick round for a while yet.

14. doogald

doogald Android Expert

Jan 7, 2010
    I don't think so. I am pretty sure that aftermarket decks (Pioneer and Alpine for sure) will be Android Auto ready. Crutchfield.com is a great place to buy such equipment; it will tell you what's compatible with your vehicle, give all the install hardware and wiring harness equipment that you need, and generally has great prices, too.

LizMac likes this.
  15. vzwuser76

vzwuser76 Android Expert
    None

That may work for some, but not in my case. I've got a Dodge Charger, and the UConnect system is tied into the radio, climate controls, settings, etc. The only way to even get a new stereo in one of those is if you have the 4.3" version (mine has the 8.4") and get a kit that involves swapping the radio along with the entire physical climate control plate. Considering how many Dodge/Chrysler vehicles have UConnect, I doubt they'll switch anytime soon.

And in many other cases, manufacturers are making it harder and harder to go with an aftermarket stereo. Almost all are using a digital bus system that requires an adapter which usually costs around $50-300 on top of the price of the head unit, and many times the audio quality is lowered when using these adaptors. Plus, like the unit in my car, they're starting to integrate other systems into the radio so it makes switching that much more difficult.

16. doogald

doogald Android Expert

Jan 7, 2010
    For something like uConnect it's very possible that Chrysler will offer a firmware upgrade that will support android auto (or apple CarPlay) on existing units. They run on QNX, so it might be possible.

17. vzwuser76

vzwuser76 Android Expert
    None

Hopefully. I wish they'd get rid of exclusives. They could have them set up to run any OS, either have them preloaded, or have different USB sticks to load them on after purchase. That would up the resale value as well if you could pick/change the interface.

18. doogald

doogald Android Expert

Jan 7, 2010
    Actually, I believe that both Apple carplay and android auto are designed exactly that way. There is nothing preventing a single system from supporting both platforms.

I do know that Dodge is part of the Android auto group (open auto Alliance I think it's called?), but that may be just for future vehicles. Time will tell...

19. SMWAS

SMWAS Member
    None

Mar 24, 2011
    Which model of the XProDock Connect are you using? Are you still happy with it? My Turbo arrives on Friday, and the one reason I have waited on switching from my RAZR Maxx HD is that I love my Motorola car dock and Vehicle Mode, so this NFC tag work-around may be just what I need.

20. vzwuser76

vzwuser76 Android Expert
    None

https://ibolt.co/car-docks/smartphone-mounts/universal-docks/xprodock-connect

This is the one I'm using, however I haven't used the NFC portion yet, I may have even lost it by now. Since the accelerometer knows when your driving, it switches to a form of car mode. Granted you don't get the traditional dock mode when you do that, but since I've never used that anyway, it's not a big deal to me. You'll need to also download iBOLT's dock/car mode app from the Playstore for that functionality.

Hope you like it, I actually finally installed it the other day (had it mounted a couple months ago but finally ran a USB cable so it wouldn't just he hanging down). While I don't use it much, unless I get a radically different phone this dock should work with almost any phone, rather than picking up a new dock for each new phone.

SMWAS likes this.