• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Velocity - Likes, Dislikes, and Suggestions

I love this ROM. Velocity has made me appreciate my Ally even more. I came from the Omnia II, so even the stock LG Ally was already a huge improvement. At first, I was concerned with the amount of storage I had after I flashed Velocity. I use a lot of widgets, so I ended up with not much space after everything was loaded (less than 50mb). I discovered what the scripts were all about and tried odexing which gave me heaps of storage, but I wanted to be able to theme it. So, I used darktremors apps2sd script and gained even more space than I got by odexing. I haven't had any problems. Now with all my widget based apps loaded plus a few more, I still have 102 mb. The only thing I have not figured out is what the heck the DPS manager does. Thanks to all the devs who have made my Ally work the way I need it to (donations to follow). :D

Upvote 0
I LOVE velocity its so sexy (yes i said sexy...... its so sexy i almost want to make sweet love to it....only kidding.....

The ONlY problem is is the OTA themes...... every time i get through waiting and waiting and waiting for it to download and start going through the unpack process my phone does the most amazing thing....you already to hear what it is? It unpacks the fone freezes and guess what it gets stuck at the bootanimation in a loop.... and then i have to reflash it.... hehe then i retry it and same results haha hey but im getting to the point i can reflash my phone in less that 5 mins haha its all good though

Upvote 0
I LOVE velocity its so sexy (yes i said sexy...... its so sexy i almost want to make sweet love to it....only kidding.....

The ONlY problem is is the OTA themes...... every time i get through waiting and waiting and waiting for it to download and start going through the unpack process my phone does the most amazing thing....you already to hear what it is? It unpacks the fone freezes and guess what it gets stuck at the bootanimation in a loop.... and then i have to reflash it.... hehe then i retry it and same results haha hey but im getting to the point i can reflash my phone in less that 5 mins haha its all good though

Clear your download cache within scripts. Sounds like a corrupted download.

Upvote 0
Clear your download cache within scripts. Sounds like a corrupted download.
I have tried that...and tried re-downloading and still the same. Its no big deal I still love the ROM i hated the phone before now its the best phone Iv had
EDIT: after reflashing it again for like the 10th time it finally worked with themes :)

Upvote 0
I love this ROM. Velocity has made me appreciate my Ally even more. I came from the Omnia II, so even the stock LG Ally was already a huge improvement. At first, I was concerned with the amount of storage I had after I flashed Velocity. I use a lot of widgets, so I ended up with not much space after everything was loaded (less than 50mb). I discovered what the scripts were all about and tried odexing which gave me heaps of storage, but I wanted to be able to theme it. So, I used darktremors apps2sd script and gained even more space than I got by odexing. I haven't had any problems. Now with all my widget based apps loaded plus a few more, I still have 102 mb. The only thing I have not figured out is what the heck the DPS manager does. Thanks to all the devs who have made my Ally work the way I need it to (donations to follow). :D

I really don't think DPS manager does anything! At least I didn't notice anything. Would be kinda cool if it did!

Upvote 0
Velocity is simply amazing in nearly every aspect. It looks good and is very fast and snappy. There are however two things that I believe could be improved. The first and most important is the battery life, I think the battery lasted longer on 0.4 then on 1.0. The second thing which is truely minor is that something got changed in the kernel so orbot (tor for android) no longer works. Like I said, this is extremely minor and I'm sure I'm the only person to which this affects.

Velocity is awesome and I think I need to thank you, thank you
Ps. Thank you

And if I forgot to mention it, thank you

Upvote 0
Velocity is simply amazing in nearly every aspect. It looks good and is very fast and snappy. There are however two things that I believe could be improved. The first and most important is the battery life, I think the battery lasted longer on 0.4 then on 1.0. The second thing which is truely minor is that something got changed in the kernel so orbot (tor for android) no longer works. Like I said, this is extremely minor and I'm sure I'm the only person to which this affects.

Velocity is awesome and I think I need to thank you, thank you
Ps. Thank you

And if I forgot to mention it, thank you

Can i ask how long your battery last for with v1 and what it was with .4? I never tried .4 but 1 last so much longer than the stock ROM.

With the stock i used to unplug it at 1am pst and it was just but dead at 12 pm pst with velocity I unplug it at same time but it last till about 4 pm without needing to be charged. I use the phone ALOT. More now then the stock version.

Upvote 0
Yeah, with 1.0 it usually runs out of power after about 10 ro 11 hours, with 0.4 I could go for about 2 days. I power off my phone during the night. I purchased my phone in July las year so there might be a problem with the battery or something. ( I'm on my phone now and it just said less then 10% remaining) I would also like to mention that I don't overclock.

Upvote 0
Yeah, with 1.0 it usually runs out of power after about 10 ro 11 hours, with 0.4 I could go for about 2 days. I power off my phone during the night. I purchased my phone in July las year so there might be a problem with the battery or something. ( I'm on my phone now and it just said less then 10% remaining) I would also like to mention that I don't overclock.

Wow 2 days? Do you use it alot? Do you have a lot of widgets? Are you using it any different in 1 than you were in .4.

Some people say overclocking wastes alot of battery but IMO I dont notice a big difference and i have mine overclocked between 768 and 787 depending on the apps I am running.

It maybe a different app you are using now. Cause correct me if im wrong but isnt .4 android 2.1? 2.1 had a horrible battery life which is why im in aww that your battery lasted 2 days

Upvote 0
The only suggestion I have, is a script to remove the "## Messages" from the lock screen. I have Handcent, and apparently the two don't want to play together, so it tells me I have 13 new messages, but I've already read them...

Either that, or can someone tell me how to get Handcent to work properly with the lockscreen message count?

Upvote 0
The only suggestion I have, is a script to remove the "## Messages" from the lock screen. I have Handcent, and apparently the two don't want to play together, so it tells me I have 13 new messages, but I've already read them...

Either that, or can someone tell me how to get Handcent to work properly with the lockscreen message count?

I have handcent installed and works great with the velocity.
If its the same problem I had where the popup shows up and I click the "x" but it still shows I have a message. Is this the issue? If so this seems to be a glitch in the last couple updates of handcent. I had this problem with my stock rom also...... I figured out that if you click the message in the popup and then click the "x" it doesn't show up as unread anymore.....

If this is not the problem let me know..... I had to tweak my handcent settings to work just right with the ally.... I was able to install handcent and use standard settings for my moto citrus.

EDIT:
Ok so I did some testing... I was using the pattern lock so it didn't show up there... I disabled that and I used the standard screen...... Its not handcent its your standard messaging program I will do some testing right now to fix that problem.....

Upvote 0

I'm a constant texter. The reason my phone's battery lasts me so little is because I constantly text throughout my day -- even the second I wake up, to the moment I fall asleep.

But this problem bothered me too much. I had to have a shortcut to the regular messenger so I could mark them all "as read." This got old real quick, so I ended up paying to download WidgetLocker and this took place of my lock screen. I'm glad I did this, because even when the "5 Second Rule" comes into effect, I hate seeing the "61 Missed Messages."

Upvote 0
I have handcent installed and works great with the velocity.
If its the same problem I had where the popup shows up and I click the "x" but it still shows I have a message. Is this the issue? If so this seems to be a glitch in the last couple updates of handcent. I had this problem with my stock rom also...... I figured out that if you click the message in the popup and then click the "x" it doesn't show up as unread anymore.....

If this is not the problem let me know..... I had to tweak my handcent settings to work just right with the ally.... I was able to install handcent and use standard settings for my moto citrus.

EDIT:
Ok so I did some testing... I was using the pattern lock so it didn't show up there... I disabled that and I used the standard screen...... Its not handcent its your standard messaging program I will do some testing right now to fix that problem.....

Yeah, I know it's not Handcent doing it.
The counter on the lock screen only gets reset when the stock messaging program is checked, but since I don't use that, it never resets.

Also, xbrad75, I tried WidgetLocker, but it seemed to slow my phone down too much, and the 5 second rule was just annoying

Upvote 0
Yeah, I know it's not Handcent doing it.
The counter on the lock screen only gets reset when the stock messaging program is checked, but since I don't use that, it never resets.

Also, xbrad75, I tried WidgetLocker, but it seemed to slow my phone down too much, and the 5 second rule was just annoying
Yup after searching every place on the internet...... this is a glitch if you may in the the android 2.2..... the ally is not the only phone with this problem

I will take a look on the internet on how to modify the sdk for the lockscreen...

Upvote 0
I have encountered this problem a few times, but it normally happens when I'm urgently waiting for a call/text from someone. My touch screen just stops working and I'm forced to reboot my phone (which isn't hard, since I can use my keyboard to do it).

My touchscreen would freeze on occaision, but the back button usually restored it to functional. I remedied the problem by wiping & reflashing.

Upvote 0
My touchscreen would freeze on occaision, but the back button usually restored it to functional. I remedied the problem by wiping & reflashing.

I actually haven't had this problem for about a week or so. All I remember is that NOTHING worked -- no touch ANYTHING. I had to hit Home from my physical keyboard, scroll down with the arrow keys and hit Reboot (since I'm running Velocity). This seemed to fix the problem for a week or two..... (;

Upvote 0
These reboot issues concern me. I had not been able to replicate them until today when it randomly performed a soft reboot while I was trying to wired tether.

I cannot get it to do it again, if someone can reproduce reboots while doing a repeatable action please post what you did, and if you can a logcat.

I can easily get my phone to reboot. All I have to do is overclock to high. It is a common problem when ocing a processor. CPU's are designed to operate optimally on the existing processes in a specific MHz range. This range decreases over time and usage, which most people are aware: my computer isnt as fast as it once was, etc... If one exceedes the number of processes in this MHz range then the processor becomes 'confused' and resets.

On my phone, I can oc to 768MHz and almost be stable. I say almost because if the num of processes push my clock to 768MHz then the cpu only handles the load for about 15 seconds before restarting. Currently, my phone is very stable at 748MHz but that will go down over time.

I found my stable speed by getting setCPU from xda. I overclock to the max then touch the screen. If the phone restarts, then lower a bit and try again. setCPU is nice because it tells you what speed your clock is running at. Just because you've overclocked to 806MHz doesnt mean the cpu will ever reach that speed. Just keep giving the phone touch screen input and watch the MHz rise until it resets. Then go down one more notch and see if your camera button restarts the phone, if so, drop it down again. Only after you've found everything working, wigits, background apps, camera, etc..., then set that MHz for startup and not before. setCPU is also nice because it lets you create profiles so the phone is only overclocked when the screen is on but under/normalclocked if battery temp is up or the screen is off.

So:
1. overclock
2. increase processes above processor approval
3. watch the reset
This can be done on stock velocity 1.0 with/without updated scripts.

Sorry, but I'm not sure how to get a logcat of this event. I would apperciate the knowledge though.

Upvote 0
I can easily get my phone to reboot. All I have to do is overclock to high. It is a common problem when ocing a processor. CPU's are designed to operate optimally on the existing processes in a specific MHz range. This range decreases over time and usage, which most people are aware: my computer isnt as fast as it once was, etc... If one exceedes the number of processes in this MHz range then the processor becomes 'confused' and resets.

On my phone, I can oc to 768MHz and almost be stable. I say almost because if the num of processes push my clock to 768MHz then the cpu only handles the load for about 15 seconds before restarting. Currently, my phone is very stable at 748MHz but that will go down over time.

I found my stable speed by getting setCPU from xda. I overclock to the max then touch the screen. If the phone restarts, then lower a bit and try again. setCPU is nice because it tells you what speed your clock is running at. Just because you've overclocked to 806MHz doesnt mean the cpu will ever reach that speed. Just keep giving the phone touch screen input and watch the MHz rise until it resets. Then go down one more notch and see if your camera button restarts the phone, if so, drop it down again. Only after you've found everything working, wigits, background apps, camera, etc..., then set that MHz for startup and not before. setCPU is also nice because it lets you create profiles so the phone is only overclocked when the screen is on but under/normalclocked if battery temp is up or the screen is off.

So:
1. overclock
2. increase processes above processor approval
3. watch the reset
This can be done on stock velocity 1.0 with/without updated scripts.

Sorry, but I'm not sure how to get a logcat of this event. I would apperciate the knowledge though.

I think its a given that a phone is going to reboot if its overclocked too high. I'm pretty sure he is wanting a logcat of a reboot not caused by someone overclocking too high.

Upvote 0
Anyone using SetCPU is really blowing it. Not being overclocked at boot should be a deal breaker for most of you. I'd hate to have to reoverclock every time i rebooted my phone.

Hey how let me tell you something.... ya its a drag to wait those 45 seconds for the superuser to give setCPU permission.... but you don't need to set it each time it boots. Look at the screenshot below hahah :)

I set OC in velocity script to 787 and disabled setCPU.... it seemed to make my phone load slower.....

Attachments

• snapshot.png
    snapshot.png
    26 KB · Views: 90
Upvote 0
Hey how let me tell you something.... ya its a drag to wait those 45 seconds for the superuser to give setCPU permission.... but you don't need to set it each time it boots. Look at the screenshot below hahah :)

I set OC in velocity script to 787 and disabled setCPU.... it seemed to make my phone load slower.....

When setCPU says "Set at Boot" it sets your clock speed after your phone is all the way booted up. My script sets the speed at the 1st velocity splash screen

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones