• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Velocity Script

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I made a silly mistake and had the online variable declared early as 0 (offline) so I fixed that and now it should be kosher. The link to the new one is http://goo.gl/7xoOs it is still not signed, the version is now 41. Please test online content such as cosmetic settings.

If you already have script version 40 test on your phone, please attempt to update through the script menu to version 41. I disabled the auto update checker in the startup function to cut the "boot" time down, so now to check for updates you need to use the script menu. I can reenable the auto update feature if enough people care.

Upvote 0
The script update function (1) doesn't work for me. The first 2 times I tried it nothing happened aside from returning to the main script menu. The third time it hung the terminal app, igmoring the keyboard. Had to reboot. 4th time, still nothing.

Still on script 40.

Yeah, I mis-spoke the version 40 has the online var defined as 0 which wont allow the script update through the menu, BUT if you start with
Code:
velocity -update

it should force it without an online check

Upvote 0
Ok, I made a silly mistake and had the online variable declared early as 0 (offline) so I fixed that and now it should be kosher. The link to the new one is http://goo.gl/7xoOs it is still not signed, the version is now 41. Please test online content such as cosmetic settings.

If you already have script version 40 test on your phone, please attempt to update through the script menu to version 41. I disabled the auto update checker in the startup function to cut the "boot" time down, so now to check for updates you need to use the script menu. I can reenable the auto update feature if enough people care.

Can't update v 40 to 41 via script menu option 4, 1. Still says you need a connection with the server, will try a manual update and see how it goes.

**Edit** Did a manual update to version 4.1 and am getting a connection with the server now. Everything under option 1 is showing up. I might try to DL a new theme after I make a nandroid later tonight... Thanks for your work and continued support savoxis!
I vote re-enabling auto update!!

Reactions: savoxis
Upvote 0
Yeah, I mis-spoke the version 40 has the online var defined as 0 which wont allow the script update through the menu, BUT if you start with
Code:
velocity -update

it should force it without an online check

No dice. I tried velocity -update as an initial command. When that failed twice I exited the script menu and typed it into terminal manually. It just goes straight to the script menu. Still on script 40.

Reactions: savoxis
Upvote 0
No dice. I tried velocity -update as an initial command. When that failed twice I exited the script menu and typed it into terminal manually. It just goes straight to the script menu. Still on script 40.

Code:
script_update()
{
	dir_check
	wget -O $DownloadDir/update/version $server/version > /dev/null 2>&1
	ServerScriptVersion="$(cat $DownloadDir/update/version)"

if [ $SCRIPT_VERSION -lt $ServerScriptVersion ];then
	 $BB echo "There is a script update available to Version $ServerScriptVersion"
	 $BB echo "Would you like to update now? (Y/N)"
	 read input
	 case "$input" in
		'')
			no_input
			script_update
		;;
		y|Y)	
		;;
		n|N)
			clear
			main_menu		
		;;
    	  esac  	
   	  $BB echo "Downloading scripts..."
	  wget -O $DownloadDir/update/velocity $server/velocity > /dev/null 2>&1
	  sync
	  $BB cp -R $DownloadDir/update/velocity /system/bin/

SCRIPT_VERSION="$(cat $DownloadDir/update/version)"
	  sync
	  $BB chmod 777 /system/bin/velocity
	  wget -O $DownloadDir/update/changelog $server/changelog > /dev/null 2>&1
	  sync
	  clear
	  cat $DownloadDir/update/changelog
  	  pause
	  clear
	  exit 0
	 else
	  clear
	  main_menu
	 fi
}

Code:
-update|update|ud|-ud)
	 script_update
	;;

Code:
-force|-forceupdate|force|forceupdate|-fu|fu)
	  mirrorselect
	  server="http://$mirror/velocity/scripts"
          wget -O $DownloadDir/update/velocity $server/velocity > /dev/null 2>&1 
          sync
          $BB cp -R $DownloadDir/update/velocity /system/bin/	
	  $BB chmod 777 /system/bin/velocity
	;;

The only mirror in mirrorselect is savoxis.com, so try a -force, or -forceupdate, or just -fu.

I have tested this with my gentoo box (not a phone but linux) and it works great... I cant see any typos or problems with the code, also.... It shouldnt display the menu at all, it should just go to the next line.

As you can see with the script_update function if you dont get any content you are hitting the ELSE conditional "if [ $SCRIPT_VERSION -lt $ServerScriptVersion ];then"

SCRIPT_VERSION=40
ServerScriptVersion="$(cat $DownloadDir/update/version)"

It is *possible* now that I am looking at it that my version file has an extra line, so I will fix this now and have you give it a go with the normal velocity -update switch

if that doesnt work try velocity -fu

If this message doesnt make any sense sorry, I have people buzzing all around and I have written it in 4 parts.

Let me know how this works

Another possibility is that it is not getting the version file at all! If this doesnt work I will write a "debug" version that displays all output, so we can find where our trouble is

damn I hate working blind.

Upvote 0
velocity -fu gave me this:

mirrorselect: not found
cp: can't stat '/sdcard/velocity/update/velocity' : No such file or directory

This is making reference to MY SD card, right? Is there supposed to be something in the velocity/update path, such as another velocity folder or file? If so, the velocity/update folder is empty.

Upvote 0
Ok

http://goo.gl/7xoOs

That is a recovery flashable Script Version 41
I tweaked the updater and the mirror selection hardcoding the server to avoid problems.

If anyone has a moment, please flash this, then try updating (I put this same script version up on the server as v42, so it will update although there will not be changes)

If it wont update through the menu, please try invoking velocity -fu in the terminal.

let me know how it goes.

Upvote 0
This is making reference to MY SD card, right? Is there supposed to be something in the velocity/update path, such as another velocity folder or file? If so, the velocity/update folder is empty.

Thats the download cache, if the folder is empty after trying to update it did NOT download the new script, or the version file. The changes I made this morning will hopefully get you back on track

Reactions: Zoandroid
Upvote 0
Ok

http://goo.gl/7xoOs

That is a recovery flashable Script Version 41
I tweaked the updater and the mirror selection hardcoding the server to avoid problems.

If anyone has a moment, please flash this, then try updating (I put this same script version up on the server as v42, so it will update although there will not be changes)

If it wont update through the menu, please try invoking velocity -fu in the terminal.

let me know how it goes.

Success! I still had "velocity -update" set in the initial command for terminal. So after I toggled sig. verification and flashed script 41 from the above download, and rebooted, when I opened terminal in the Velocity Toolkit I was immediately greeted with the message asking to update to script version 42. I did, and now everything looks good again. :)

Upvote 0
Okay!

I have replicated the new script across all the mirrors (except darkxshadows as it appears to be no longer online) so now everyone should get prompted to upgrade to 42, unless the mirror selected is down.

For those of you having trouble, please use the flashable patch to v41 here http://goo.gl/7xoOs , signature verification will still need to be disabled.

Now I can start some real work ;)

Upvote 0
Ok, I finally got ahold of the guy that was sending me an Ally to work with, turns out there was a SNAFU with the postal service and he will need to try shipping it again (to the right address)

Since now I know I will have an ally soonish, I am going to wait to dive into revisions as it will be MUCH easier when I have a device.

let me know if you run into any major issues

Upvote 0
I've gotten updated to v42 of the script, but I can't get the OTA update to Velocity 1.2 to work; the script keeps telling me I've got the latest, which is 1.1. Am I doing something wrong or am I just misunderstanding what's supposed to the happen? Thanks!

AFAIK the ability to get OTA ROM updates has not yet been implemented. They are being provided as flashable zip files you can download to your Ally, then install using recovery and following the typical instructions for flashing a ROM.

Upvote 0
Oh OK, then I had in fact misunderstood. Thanks!

No problem. You should be able to flash the latest version file, which is 1.2.1. Remember to make a nandroid backup from recovery first, and then clear the caches and wipe user data before flashing the ROM. If you want to preserve and restore your apps and their data you can use Titanium Backup (TIBU) to make a backup of all your apps before you clear and flash the new ROM, and then re-install TIBU and tell it to restore your apps and their data from the backup files you saved on your SD card.

Upvote 0
Can someone tell me how to mount "system/bin/velocity"? Ive been trying to update my scripts and it keeps telling me that it's not a directory. Only thing is I went and checked it using the file manager and it is there. Just not read/writable for some reason. I cant even get into it. Im stuck guys. Please help. :/

Upvote 0
Ok. Heres the full story. Basically I wanted to switch to another theme. So I went into the Terminal Emulator got into the scripts(39) and went to cosmetic changes and then themes. When I click on themes I get told that I dont have the manifest.txt.

I posted and was told I needed to update my scripts to 42. Well, when I choose to update scripts it doesnt do anything but blink me back to the main menu. So i went and downloaded the scripts myself. Placing them in sd/velocity/update/velocity I typed in velocity -fu. The error I had after that was something about system/bin/velocity being read only.

I downloaded root manager and mounted it as rw and now Im getting the error below. :/

bash-3.2# velocity -fu
Mirror velocity.awesomazing.com selected...
cp: target '/system/bin/velocity' is not a directory
bash-3.2#

Am I just plain stupid? I just wanted to change my theme. Now I want to blow someone up.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones