• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Velocity Script

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I tried out a lock-screen app, didn't like it so I immediately uninstalled it. After that I noticed that, for some reason, my phone decided to uninstall Wireless and Wired tether ......as well as Velocity wallpapers?
I'm not sure what happened and I didn't do anything different or drastic today.
So If anyone knows of some way I could get these apps re-installed I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks guys!!!:thinking:

Seems to me the quickest way to get those back would be to either restore that Nandroid you dutifully made after flashing 1.1 ( :D ) or else just re-flash 1.1.

Reactions: azuma73
Upvote 0
Ok kiddies,

Big update here, you wont notice much on your side, added a nice intro picture, made all the main menu keys X (or x) and added a donate link in script menu.

In the background I went thru line by line and removed all non POSIX compliant code, also streamlined the code, removed about 400-800 lines of garbage (which dropped size by 10k) rewrote a few of the functions entirely. Fixed tabbing and a few other things, as I was going thru I changed a few things, forgot a lot of what I did ( its still ~1700 lines)

Please bear with me, I tested a little after but mostly just to see if there where syntax errors. If there is any wonkyness please let me know

EDIT:BTW how are things working with download cache on sdcard?

Upvote 0
Created a Nandroid
Rec'd System Update Available notification (did not take any action)
Accepted Script 34 OTA
Tried to "Clear Download Cache" from script menu, got this error:

# velocity
Mirror savoxis.awesomazing.com selected...
.-"""-.
' \
Clearing Downloaded Files...
mkdir: can't create directory '/sdcard/velocity/update': No such file or directory
Press enter to continue...

I did find a Velocity/update folder on the card. It is empty.

Suggestions?

Upvote 0
It's nearly 10PM here, so a good 3 hours after your post. No sign of a Script 35 yet. I'll check back later. :)

Thanks

Yeah, since I only changed the one thing I didnt make a whole new version number. You will want to invoke
Code:
su
velocity fu
as this will force an update without comparing version numbers.

Reactions: Zoandroid
Upvote 0
Thanks. That worked, but could you add in a response to be displayed when the force update is successful? There isn't any indication given of whether it even worked when that is executed. I did it twice just to make sure. The first time it returned a rooted prompt in 2 seconds. The second time took several seconds for anything to happen. I was beginning to think the Ally had hung. (I like progress bars!) :)

Upvote 0
I have no idea how many of us are using your files, but if it is a lot of us, perhaps a "subscription" at some low and reasonable price might be a solution to funding your file server site. I have seen some forums themselves who charge a monthly fee for access, so having everything free as we do, I would not be opposed to making a small donation on a monthly basis, when you consider this forum IS our only available "tech support" for these rooted custom ROMs and modifications.

Upvote 0
I have no idea how many of us are using your files, but if it is a lot of us, perhaps a "subscription" at some low and reasonable price might be a solution to funding your file server site. I have seen some forums themselves who charge a monthly fee for access, so having everything free as we do, I would not be opposed to making a small donation on a monthly basis, when you consider this forum IS our only available "tech support" for these rooted custom ROMs and modifications.

I am mirroring from my house to SAVE money I would otherwise spend on offsite hosting, the problem this time isnt with funding, I paid my room mate. He just forgot to pay comcast. Should be back up in a day or 2 sorry for the inconvenience

Upvote 0
So, I was talking to some people on IRC and they wanted some of the script "source" to help them write some of their own. The script is not necessarily open source (I will not allow you to re-release this under your own name) but it is not closed source.

Feel free to use the script as an example to inspire your scripts. functions can be used in other scripts with credit to me and with my permission.

Here is the live link to the script on the ota
http://velocity.awesomazing.com/velocity/scripts/velocity

Even if you are not interested in scripting, you should take a look. It will give you a whole new appreciation of how much work actually goes into this beast.

Upvote 0
Version 35

WooooHooooo!

That was fun, I have been busy (whats new?) crafting for you some of the finest delicacies you will ever see! First and foremost lets talk about the "Free Memory" script I added to the script menu.

FREE MEMORY
What does it do? Well it FREES memory being used by the system for cache. Linux has good memory management. But to the untrained eye it doesn't look like it does; it is constantly caching files and locations in RAM. Well this script will sync your phone and drop all the caches being stored in RAM, this will free for you between 0-25M of memory! Ofcourse it will get eaten up with caches again but, if your phone is running horribly slow, this will give you a bit.

IMPROVED SYSTEM APP MANAGEMENT
Ok, I am very proud of this one. Im sure you kids hear me throwing around terms like dynamic an awful lot. Well this is the most epic example of dynamicity you will ever see. It will parse your /system/app directory (now showing important apps I chose to filter) and give you a list, you can select an application and it will remove or backup. it will even remove the data and the dalvik entries! Also..... the restore works in the same way!

Now im sure you guys wont find these features nearly as cool as I do.... But hey, if you have ideas! LEMME KNOW, I spend more time trying to come up with features than I do implementing them. I currently am working (in vain so far) to make nandroid backups from the script.

Had to do a maint patch, it removes the data/data removal for apps, it was breaking and deleting the WHOLE folder for a few apps, back to the drawing board on that one, still removes dalvik and apk. Ill figure the rest out soon

Upvote 0
Um.......... a way to block the repeated VZE Update notification? :D ( I have now dealt with it 8 times). :p

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

good idea...

I think I patched it with the here update 38. should be available in about 45 mins. It checks at startup and if you need it it will patch.

Upvote 0
MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

good idea...

I think I patched it with the here update 38. should be available in about 45 mins. It checks at startup and if you need it it will patch.

Wow! The Android Version reports itself as 2.2.2 now, Hopefully the Baseband and SW Version still being reported as VS740VZD and VS740MVD instead of VS740VZE and VS740MVE won't matter.:)

Upvote 0
Wow! The Android Version reports itself as 2.2.2 now, Hopefully the Baseband and SW Version still being reported as VS740VZD and VS740MVD instead of VS740VZE and VS740MVE won't matter.:)

I updated the build #, build date, release keys and fingerprint this should be enough to convince the system its 2.2.2 as far as the OTAs and the Android Market are concerned

Upvote 0
I have been smoothly running my Ally under Velocity now at 768 MHz, but so far I have avoided setting it to boot while overclocked, and just using the Velocity Tools to set the overclock manually.

I am considering setting the "run at boot" option so that I don't have to keep remembering to re-OC if I restart the Ally for whatever reason. But I would like to know, "just in case", if I did have a problem with it set this way, how does one intercept the boot process and disable the overclock? Can you boot to recovery and do it from there? Or is there some other way?

Upvote 0
If you do it with the toolkit then if ir kernel panics or any other sort of unsavory reboot or anything other than the power menu for that matter then it wont set it on the next boot. The script however, sets it long before that and would need to be changed via adb in recovery i know savoxis posted just how to do so a good while back somewhere but it was a while back, or you can restore a nandroid.

Reactions: Zoandroid
Upvote 0
When I searched this thread and the Velocity ROM thread using overclock and/or boot as key words I couldn't find anything. I didn't know that the way Velocity Tools sets the overclock was different from doing it by using the script accessed 'the old way' before we had Tools. That's nice to know. I'll use Tools to set it at boot and then hopefully it won't ever be an issue.

So when entering Recovery (to restore a Nandroid) the overclock has never yet occured?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
For me, pretty much. I get the occasional spontaneous reboot, but since I have always had that with every handheld electronic device I think it's just the way they are. :) Plus I recently uncovered what I believe to be the cause of all my SD card ills - that being a defective USB adapter I had used on each card at some point. So things are working well now. (Knock on wood).

Reactions: savoxis
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones