• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ventrilo app

nono

Lurker
Jul 24, 2009
hello honorable devs,
i have been looking for an app that would allow me to connect to ventrilo (gaming VoIP) servers to converse with my team/raid/whatever. not sure how hard this is, i read on some other forum a lot of reverse engineering of the ventrilo client would have to be done? i have no idea, code confuses me.

in any case, from what i can gather, this would be of moderate to high interest to gamers especially those approaching hardcore/profesional level of gaming and i know that i, for one, would be willing to support such an apps development with cold hard cash and definitely fork out a couple bucks to dl the app to my phone.

so thats my pitch. hope it interests one or all of you :D
thanks
~nono

I'm one of the developers working on the Mangler project.

It may interest you to know that work is underway to port Mangler to the android platform. The library that drives Mangler (libventrilo3) already successfully runs on the Android device as a shared lib compiled with the Android NDK.

I am currently in the process of trying to write up a decent GUI for it, and in the near future will start looking into audio encoding possibilities (speex/gsm). I am a C coder by nature, so any help to speed up the development process is always appreciated.

You can find us either on our homepage (Mangler | A Ventrilo Compatible Client for Linux)
Or on IRC:
irc.freenode.net
#mangler

Good day :)

Upvote 0
I got libspeex and libgsm to compile as static libraries yesterday... So that isn't an issue anymore :) I'll have to do some research on how android's audiotrack works with multiple audio streams.. we may have to do internal mixing in the libventrilo library (which wouldn't be a bad thing because that would be required if we want to migrate to ALSA).

Upvote 0
Not much since the last update, been planning on some more work coming month. Libventrilo still needs a bunch of changes done, also depending on the capabilities of AudioTrack, not sure if Android's audio system mixes multiple audiotrack streams...

We're an open source collaboration project so any assistance from some Java/Android gurus is always appreciated. I code mainly in C so my Java pretty much sucks :)

Progress can be tracked from our Trac page for the Android branch. You will need the NDK to build libventrilo. And don't be afraid to drop by on IRC (Freenode, #mangler).

Upvote 0
Not much since the last update, been planning on some more work coming month. Libventrilo still needs a bunch of changes done, also depending on the capabilities of AudioTrack, not sure if Android's audio system mixes multiple audiotrack streams...

We're an open source collaboration project so any assistance from some Java/Android gurus is always appreciated. I code mainly in C so my Java pretty much sucks :)

Progress can be tracked from our Trac page for the Android branch. You will need the NDK to build libventrilo. And don't be afraid to drop by on IRC (Freenode, #mangler).

I was able to compile libgsm in a few different ways. I have a .a file from XCode generated as well as regular old bin/ lib/ files from the Makefile. I don't necessarily want to do a make install. How do I tell ./configure to look at the built gsm directory? I've tried every ./configure option I can think of, even truss'ing and trying to trace system calls for where the heck it thinks -lgsm is coming from.

I tried --enable-gsm=PATH, --with-gsm=PATH where PATH is the src that's had make run in it. But ./configure doesn't let me point to my own copy of libgsm? Can I make install it, ./configure and then remove it? I'm actually just trying to get the Config.h built.

Sorry for the noob compiling question but I want to play with this lib.

Upvote 0
I was able to compile libgsm in a few different ways. I have a .a file from XCode generated as well as regular old bin/ lib/ files from the Makefile. I don't necessarily want to do a make install. How do I tell ./configure to look at the built gsm directory? I've tried every ./configure option I can think of, even truss'ing and trying to trace system calls for where the heck it thinks -lgsm is coming from.
AFAIK you can't link libraries built with gcc into a shared lib with the bionic C compiler (which is what the android NDK is using). You really don't have to either, because I managed to compile both libspeex and libgsm with the android-ndk.

Latest revision in the mangler repositories, android branch (r602) now builds with libventrilo3 trunk. If you have succesfully set up the android-ndk, you can compile the library with something similar to:
make APP=mangler LIBPATH=~/mangler/trunk/libventrilo3
Make sure to specify a correct path to libventrilo3 (you'll want latest trunk) and make sure your working directory is that of the NDK.

This project is definitely not dead, but I am merely a C programmer with hardly any Java/AndroidSDK experience. I would welcome anyone to hop along and get this thing done. (Mangler Forums | Mangler on Android)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones