1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Verifying A Nandroid Backup.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by LBPHeretic, Mar 29, 2011.

1. LBPHeretic

LBPHeretic Android Expert
    None

May 29, 2010
    Senior Software Engineer
    Wilmington, Delaware
    Does anyone know if there is a surefire way to verify that a Nandroid backup is good? Does ClockworkMod or ROM Manager offer a service to verify the integrity of the contents of the Nandroid backup's folder because I did not see anything.

A friend of mine recently ran into a bout of corrupted Nandroids and thankfully he had backed the Nandroid folders up onto his computer. He had not renamed the folders, though I have never had issues with renaming mine in the past. I found this app that says it can verify Nandroid backups by checking the nandroid.md5 file in the folder: AFV (Android File Verifier) - Android . Has anyone had any experience with this app? Inquiring minds would like to know.

Advertisement

2. DonB

DonB ♡ Truth, Justice and the American Way !! ♡ ™

Nov 30, 2009
    Male
    18th Hole Of the Golf Course
    I have had a few issues before with MD5 checksums, so what I usually do is this, once I Nandroid I restore that back up right away to make sure it did not get corrupted, and when I rename the folder, I simply add at the end of the existing file name -GB with no spaces, as it already has the date of the back up

3. LBPHeretic

LBPHeretic Android Expert
    None

May 29, 2010
    Senior Software Engineer
    Wilmington, Delaware
    That seems like a pretty good plan of action. Do you rename your Nandroid backup folders back to what they were originally were before restoring?

I never have really had issues with Nandroid backups. I do religiously copy them to my computer though, so that I can copy it back in the event of a problem.

4. DonB

DonB ♡ Truth, Justice and the American Way !! ♡ ™

Nov 30, 2009
    Male
    18th Hole Of the Golf Course
    No I do not, I simply do as mentioned and restore like that, this way if I have an issue with a back up I simply edit the name with what I added at the end of the folder, knowing that was the actual name, therefore eliminating that reason why the MD5 checksum error comes up. I use to rename the whole folder to what I wanted with no spaces, that is when I started having a few issues, and ever since I simply add to the end of the name, knock on wood I have had no issues. And yes I keep a copy on my PC along with the latest on my phone, and my stock rooted Rom.

Tags: