• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon 2.2 release

Verizon will release Android 2.2 for Samsung Continuum on January 17th, 2012
It's about time!

I highly doubt it. 2.2.2 has been made, and sitting on Samsung shelves for 6 months. I'm running a leaked version, now. It has never been pushed because verizon never bought it. There isn't enough demand for them to invest the money. That fact hasn't changed in the last 6 months. They didn't push it then, so why would they push it now?

Upvote 0
I highly doubt it. 2.2.2 has been made, and sitting on Samsung shelves for 6 months. I'm running a leaked version, now. It has never been pushed because verizon never bought it. There isn't enough demand for them to invest the money. That fact hasn't changed in the last 6 months. They didn't push it then, so why would they push it now?

That's my thoughts, exactly. I'm just wondering where he got the date?

Upvote 0
I'm just curious, so maybe someone who has rooted their phone and installed the 2.2 ROM can give me some insight. What is it about this ROM that has Samsung and Verizon not wanting to release it? Is there some bloatware that has to be removed for it to work? That seems to be the only thing I can see possible. Everything I've read is that it's a pretty stable version. I'm just trying to wrap my head around why they would feel justified screwing us customers like this.

Upvote 0
I'm just curious, so maybe someone who has rooted their phone and installed the 2.2 ROM can give me some insight. What is it about this ROM that has Samsung and Verizon not wanting to release it? Is there some bloatware that has to be removed for it to work? That seems to be the only thing I can see possible. Everything I've read is that it's a pretty stable version. I'm just trying to wrap my head around why they would feel justified screwing us customers like this.

It's not that samsung didn't want to release it, or that it was nonfunctional in some way. It was a business decision by verizon. Samsung made the rom, and verizon was going to buy it. But, from what I can tell, at the last minute verizon looked at the sales figures for the continuum, and decided that it wasn't worth the money. So, they didn't buy it. The leaked version of 2.2 I'm on functions perfectly fine (better than 2.1 ever did).

Upvote 0
It's not that samsung didn't want to release it, or that it was nonfunctional in some way. It was a business decision by verizon. Samsung made the rom, and verizon was going to buy it. But, from what I can tell, at the last minute verizon looked at the sales figures for the continuum, and decided that it wasn't worth the money. So, they didn't buy it. The leaked version of 2.2 I'm on functions perfectly fine (better than 2.1 ever did).
Thanks. I was just curious. Verizon blames Samsung, saying they haven't provided an update, and Samsung blames Verizon, saying they have and that it's in Verizon's hands.

Some of it, I wonder if Google should step in and get more control (it makes them look bad, too). Microsoft and Apple control the updates and those happen in a timely fashion, and are available to all. If Google is going to have rogue companies making these kinds of decisions, it just might drive customers away. I've been seriously considering an iPhone instead, as updates actually happen.

Upvote 0
Thanks. I was just curious. Verizon blames Samsung, saying they haven't provided an update, and Samsung blames Verizon, saying they have and that it's in Verizon's hands.

Some of it, I wonder if Google should step in and get more control (it makes them look bad, too). Microsoft and Apple control the updates and those happen in a timely fashion, and are available to all. If Google is going to have rogue companies making these kinds of decisions, it just might drive customers away. I've been seriously considering an iPhone instead, as updates actually happen.

Yeah. I will say two things, on that point.
1. Google is stepping in. I can't remember what it was called, but they forced a pact late last year among the big 4 carriers to ensure that updates are pushed in a timely manner for 18 months of the phone's life. How successful it will be, is still uncertain. But, supposedly it is in play for all phones as of something like september-october last year.
2. I'll give you the fact that apple controls updates and ensures they are pushed in a timely manner. But, let me ask you this: Taking our phone (or, more to the point, our android version) out of the equation, what do you NEED the latest and greatest update for? 2.2 can do the same thing as 2.3. 3.x and 4.x are still either almost totally undeveloped or just starting development. I'll freely admit that 2.1 is hindered (hence the reason I ditched it). but, anything after eclair is universal. We just got a lemon model.

And, 'fragmentation' aside, I'll gladly have to work a little to port a different rom over, if I have the control and customization options that I retain with google vs apple. But, that's just me. I have several friends with iphones that are perfectly happy with them, because they just want something that works. And don't care how.

Reactions: JayPeriod
Upvote 0
I did read about the pact with Good and the manufacturers. I would think that with Google now owning Motorola, they may get updates the quickest. Unfortunately, for the Continuum, it comes too late. It will soon hit the 18 month timeframe and would never see an update on that reason alone. I know, it's not covered by the agreement, any way.

At this time, I don't have the skill level to root an Android phone, though it is on my bucket list. It seems that's when the OS shows its stuff the most. I think in that way alone, it rises head and shoulders above Apple.

I am looking to root my phone with the new rom in the summer. I'm hoping by that time someone will have developed a GB rom, but the Froyo one will provide what is most needed. I've heard GB did provide a little better battery life, but you are right, not much else. It just seems every day more and more apps require 2.2 or better, so I'm afraid that sometime in the next 6 months, I won't be able to install any new apps and support of my current apps will dry up. The integration of Flash with 2.2 is also a biggie.

Any way, thanks for clarifying quite a bit. It's been a big help.

Upvote 0
No problem. I wouldn't wait for a gb rom. Samsung only made froyo with the understanding that verizon would buy it. I seriously doubt gingerbread has even crossed their mind. And you can't just flash a gingerbread rom over a froyo kernel. Unless you enjoy seeing the 'bricked screen'. Because that is all you will get.
As for rooting, read a lot. Start in our 'all things root' section. I've made a few tutorials and explanation of terms guides. Read them, along with the sticky by scary alien. Figure out what questions to ask, and let me know. I'll be happy to help you learn, and answer anything you'd like to know. If I don't know it, I'll help you find the answer.

Upvote 0
Downloading the official Froyo update as I type this.

Update:
The build is EC09, Firmware 2.2.2, Kernel 2.6.32.9. In case anyone is interested.

Got it this afternoon. For those of you who don't want to wait, super one click 2.3.3 roots it on reboot. For those of you with patience, give me a couple of days, and I will be posting an ODIN/CWM combo flash of prerooted, deodexed. I'm still kinda in shock, and wondering what the hell made verizon do a 180 on this thing, so late in the game.

Upvote 0
just woke up this morning, turned on my phone, and well whaddya know??

i'm kinda in shock too. this very week i was either going to have a buddy root it for me, or just give up and start over with a new phone. this is like a bottom of the 9th, two outs, last minute miracle!

cheers continuum owners. i have no idea why they finally decided to roll this out, but i'd like to think it had something to do with everyone continuing to voice their dissatisfaction to verizon and samsung. well done. :)

Upvote 0
I would like to think ultimately that had something to do with it, but only Verizon and Samsung really know. I am not optimistic about Gingerbread, though. I really don't expect to ever see that one. I'm not real sure there are many things that would be much different with GB, though. Maybe a different interface, I've heard better battery life, but the difference between Eclair and Froyo was huge. I feel like I've got a new phone.

I will say, I am finding improved reception (I'm getting a signal in places I didn't before), and about 20-25% better battery life. I love having flash and moving some apps to the SD card. It really reinforces why we fought so hard for the update.

Upvote 0
Anyone with serious knowledge on rooting and unrooting I need some help. Tried to download the update unsuccessfully however my phone no longer appears to be rooted because i am unable to unroot it using any of the instructions on here and am unable to root it using z4root as well.

what rom were you on when you try to update?

Upvote 0
Still on 2.1

And I'm sure you had debloated, right? That is most likely (i can almost garuntee) the reason the update didn't push. Go hhere

[DEV] Continuum DataBase [EC09][DL17][EC03][EC07] - xda-developers

And get the dl17 stock, odex all in one. Also get odin. Put your phone in dl mode (vol down, and power at the same time). Put the dl17 in the pda section in odin, plug your phone in (making sure you have 'com' in the small box on upper left), and click start. Factory fs will take a while, and it'll hang on modem for about 10 seconds. But it will put you back on stock bloated dl17 and then you can update. One thing. This wipes data, so back up apps, texts and contacts.

I would post the link to DL17, myself. But, my dropbox links have been 'temporarily deactivated, because of too much traffic', which I didn't even know was possible.

Also, you will need to install the drivers for your phone to do this, which can also be found at that link. They need to be installed before you do anything with odin.
I'll be in IRC for a little while longer, if you have any questions.

webchat.freenode.net

channel #samsung-continuum

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones