• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon 4G

As a former sprint owner that switched to verizon I beg to differ. My service was terrible with Sprint when I moved to my new place so I had to switch and now no dropped calls.

Did you ever consider it was maybe the device you were using? Sprint/Verizon Have the same exact VOICE coverage. The FCC mandates it. So whether you have to roam or not, you can get coverage with either company. Did you update your PRL's? As for the spectrum, yes lower frequencies have better building penetration but have worse load bearing capability! So even thought your getting reception, since it is DATA we are talking about, your speeds would be equal to or worse than 3G, so what is the point of 4G?

Upvote 0
Sprint/Verizon Have the same exact VOICE coverage.
You have no idea what you are talking about. Sprint utilizes the 1900 MHz band only, whereas VZW uses 850 & 1900...

The FCC mandates it.

Whatever dude. :rolleyes:

So whether you have to roam or not, you can get coverage with either company.

Actually, you are correct in saying this...yet....all the free Sprint Goodies like Sprint TV, etc...are not included in roaming areas.

since it is DATA we are talking about, your speeds would be equal to or worse than 3G, so what is the point of 4G?

Huh? 4G WiMax (Sprint/Clear) will operate in the US on the 2.5 GHz which means that VZW LTE will have almost 3.5 x's the in building coverage. Additionally, WiMax, while a great technology for developing countries because of economies of scale - is a challenge here in the US. It was developed as a fixed wireless solution, and they are having significant challenges with handoffs from Sprints CDMA and the WiMax (which Sprint is an MVNO of - its not even their network!).

So - you can pay for your crappy Sprint service, I will "overpay" for Verizon which works for me in the middle of nowhere, or in a major city - consistent service everywhere.

Upvote 0
Sprint/Verizon Have the same exact VOICE coverage.

no they dont i come from a place in the middle of nothing i drive 5-10 miles out of town and sprint is gone and hello roaming. i get to work which is 3 miles away from where i live and it goes back and forth from signal to no signal. i cant wait for verizon to have the power house phone that everyone is foaming at the mouth for because i am going to switch and i dont care if it cost more. its not about the money its about reliability

Upvote 0
Don't hold your breath - carriers are definately not rushing to VOIP anytime soon.

I know, even if a standalong data package is 2x what they currently charge a voip phone would save me 2/3 of my bill. That's a profit margine they won't be willing to loose. My hope is that google with jam it down their throats.....Verizon's 4g is mighty apealing, but 3g with voip would be ok with me....

Upvote 0
Did you ever consider it was maybe the device you were using? Sprint/Verizon Have the same exact VOICE coverage. The FCC mandates it. So whether you have to roam or not, you can get coverage with either company. Did you update your PRL's? As for the spectrum, yes lower frequencies have better building penetration but have worse load bearing capability! So even thought your getting reception, since it is DATA we are talking about, your speeds would be equal to or worse than 3G, so what is the point of 4G?
Were I live Verizon and att have coverage. Us cellular, spring/nexel and tmobile don't.

Studies are great, but I don't buy the studies as much as I buy global warming....it's all in the variables.

Upvote 0
3Devious

Yes, I know a lot about it.

It will run in the 700 MHz frequency won during the auctions of the public TV airwaves - better in-building propagation (penetration).

Thanks! Verizon wasn't the only winner, was it? I can't imagine people not rioting in the streets if that were the case (I'd be happy, but I am almost fully aware of my insignificance.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones