• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] AKOP vs CM9 Official: Preferences?

dabomb224

Android Enthusiast
Jul 20, 2010
I'm currently running Bugless Beast 4.0.3, which I like for its minimalism and bug-free nature. That said, I feel that it's time to upgrade to 4.0.4, and I'm interested in a ROM with a bit more customization. My top two choices right now are AKOP and CM9; could anyone with experience running these ROM's comment on their current respective features/bugs?

Was originally on CM9, the first rom i flashed. Then i decided to try something else, seeing as that was THE only rom ive ever flashed, and AOKP was my first option. It was nice, smooth, minimalistic, but suffered alot of bugs with loss of signal, wifi, and worse i couldn't connect my phone to my computer (wouldnt read it) and that bug carried back over into CM9 and Stock ICS, had to unroot, flash factory reset, and reroot just to get it to work again. Never going back to it :(

CM9 is smooth and plenty of features. and this might not mean much, but i had a quadrant score of 3568 o_O have never gotten that kind of score on any rom ive flashed (so far).

Thats my 2 cents

Upvote 0
They're very different from one another imo. CM runs smoother and faster than both aokp and LS. Faster and smoother than anything really except that bamf is a close runner up. But that is kind of expected as aokp is feature filled to the max. If you'd like features out the wazoo then liquid and aokp got you covered. If you want a faster smoother core "vanilla" flavored experience, than CM and bamf are excellent choices. You'll just have to find what you like by trying them, that is the best way. GL!

edit: on 2nd thought, more responsive would be a better description rather than "faster". It's all so subjective one must try it to see if they feel the same way

Upvote 0
They're very different from one another imo. CM runs smoother and faster than both aokp and LS. Faster and smoother than anything really except that bamf is a close runner up. But that is kind of expected as aokp is feature filled to the max. If you'd like features out the wazoo then liquid and aokp got you covered. If you want a faster smoother core "vanilla" flavored experience, than CM and bamf are excellent choices. You'll just have to find what you like by trying them, that is the best way. GL!

Which things are smoother or faster? In my day and a half or so of cm9 usage, it felt the same as AOKP to me. I don't play many games or do much high intensity stuff, but menu navigation and nova launcher both ran the same for me, at least I didn't notice any difference.

Upvote 0
Which things are smoother or faster? In my day and a half or so of cm9 usage, it felt the same as AOKP to me. I don't play many games or do much high intensity stuff, but menu navigation and nova launcher both ran the same for me, at least I didn't notice any difference.

Don't want to try and convince anyone of anything that is just my experience and opinion. I've been running winner00's kang of CM9 and special sauce is included. Idk what it is though. :p but its special!

That said, trebuchet launcher is much smoother than nova in every respect which is part of the experience. The other is Franco kernel as it is a screamer yet excels in battery life. I think the simple fact that CM is so much leaner as it is yet to be as feature filled also makes a difference.

Again, this is just my personal opinion after running cm for the last 4 days. I'm glad I gave it a lengthy chance.

Upvote 0
Would you say that Trebuchet is faster than the Stock ICS launcher? I ask because while Nova seems to be very different, Trebuchet appears identical to the the stock launcher.

Faster isn't a good word to describe the difference between it and Nova. Smoother is a better adjective. The thing about it all though is that this "smoothness" or "snappiness" is so subjective. Trebuchet does "appear" to be identical to the stock launcher except it behaves differently. It's smoother and more responsive without being "fast". Nova to me is very fast, but it's a little bumpy/stuttery/jerky (not laggy) to me after being on trebuchet. Hard to explain it really is personal preference. Nova, Apex, Stock launchers they're all great! Can't believe we're only 4 months into this phones development and we have all these choices already!

Upvote 0
I've stopped constantly monitoring my battery life after Franco 13.1 and Lean 1.2.1 dropped months ago. It's sooo good now. But I did happen to take a screen shot tonight of today's stats. I was on 4G for ~11 hours and wifi for ~5.45 hrs. Few phone calls, 2 games of robo, lot of draw something, about 50 texts, a few emails, and a lot of browsing forums. When on wifi all day I get about the same except screen on time is just shy of 5 hours.

c4a36539.png

b46229fa.png

8f675538.png

Upvote 0
I can definitely agree on your assessment of the difference between the speedy jerkiness of Nova and the smoothness of Trebuchet.

I have noticed that many here have mentioned that the more feature-rich ROM's (like AKOP) are not as smooth as the more stock ROM's. While I can certainly understand why AKOP would be more buggy, I can't quite picture why they'd be slower. Has anyone here had experience with both types of ROM's? If so, can you confirm a definite speed difference?

Reactions: jbdan
Upvote 0
I can definitely agree on your assessment of the difference between the speedy jerkiness of Nova and the smoothness of Trebuchet.

I have noticed that many here have mentioned that the more feature-rich ROM's (like AKOP) are not as smooth as the more stock ROM's. While I can certainly understand why AKOP would be more buggy, I can't quite picture why they'd be slower. Has anyone here had experience with both types of ROM's? If so, can you confirm a definite speed difference?

I've run a few. They're all so good in their own ways!

"Faster" isn't the best descriptor. More efficient or responsive would be better. It drives me nutz when I see "this rom blows the other rom out of the water" :p

You should just go for it and try one, your not going to have the same experiences others do, you really need to try it for you :)

Upvote 0

I agree with Jbdan, AOKP and CM9 are my favorite roms period and I switch between them periodically. CM9 feels faster and gets better benchmarks, it is also more stable. AOKP is relatively stable and fast, but it loses out on those 2 things to CM9. It makes up for it by having way more features, and an ability to customize that no other Rom or mobile OS can match. Edit: Oh and I always run them with leankernel so that is not a variable.

Reactions: jbdan
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones