• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon allowing Droid Incredible pre-orders to be changed into Moto Droid X pre-orders?

I can say that I just tried calling and cancelling to order the X. Admittedly, the phone should have shipped by now, so I was really calling to find out how to return it. But the CSR could not find anything in her database to show the phone had been shipped or that it would be shipped soon even. She also said that she could not cancel the order, and that if I refused delivery or returned the phone, that I would have to pay the restocking fee. I may have just gotten someone that doesn't know what's going on or maybe it was because it was so close to my delivery date, but I had no luck with this. Good luck to anyone else.

Upvote 0
I can say that I just tried calling and cancelling to order the X. Admittedly, the phone should have shipped by now, so I was really calling to find out how to return it. But the CSR could not find anything in her database to show the phone had been shipped or that it would be shipped soon even. She also said that she could not cancel the order, and that if I refused delivery or returned the phone, that I would have to pay the restocking fee. I may have just gotten someone that doesn't know what's going on or maybe it was because it was so close to my delivery date, but I had no luck with this. Good luck to anyone else.

I just called verizon directly as my Incredible had not shipped and I was able to cancel the order with no problem at all. I say call back and try another rep.

P.S. she had no idea when it would ship either.

Reactions: gibbga
Upvote 0
folks i spoke with at the vzw 800 CS number (original rep & then manager) were quite clear that my inc order could be canceled and that i could order the dx on 7/15, but that they were absolutely not able to 'change' the order such that it was a dx preorder. ie: they were unable to create an order for the dx until 7/15.

inc is canceled...never even saw it on the card. and i've already been to BB to preorder there...

Upvote 0
I just called verizon directly as my Incredible had not shipped and I was able to cancel the order with no problem at all. I say call back and try another rep.

P.S. she had no idea when it would ship either.

Ugggh, seriously!?!? Why is it that you have to call 20 times before you find someone who knows what is going on at these places? Maybe she couldn't do anything about mine because it was past the ship & delivery date already. I dunno, but she sure sounded like she just couldn't do anything about it no matter what. Thx for the info. I guess I'll try again tomorrow.

You said your CSR could cancel because it wasn't shipped. How did she knew it hadn't been shipped? Your ship date weeks or something? Just trying to figure out how much info they do/don't have. Thx! (My CSR said she had no way to tell if it had shipped.)

Upvote 0
Ugggh, seriously!?!? Why is it that you have to call 20 times before you find someone who knows what is going on at these places? Maybe she couldn't do anything about mine because it was past the ship & delivery date already. I dunno, but she sure sounded like she just couldn't do anything about it no matter what. Thx for the info. I guess I'll try again tomorrow.

You said your CSR could cancel because it wasn't shipped. How did she knew it hadn't been shipped? Your ship date weeks or something? Just trying to figure out how much info they do/don't have. Thx! (My CSR said she had no way to tell if it had shipped.)

dude keep trying.
i guarantee you will find someone that will help you.

heres my brief story: ordered a inc on 6/4 at a verizon oficial sstore in westbury. Day i found out about X i tried to cancel over phone. They said NO cant do it. I was just going to deny the inc. So the day came and i never got the inc. I called the store, spoke to same lady that placed the inc order...and even SHE SAID NO. I said to her: "ok, i figured since you made the icredible sale to me im not going to stiff you on the commission. Since youre not being helpful, i will find a way to cancel the incredible. Thank you and have a wonderful day". hung up on her

After that, within 10 minutes of me dialing 611, i had the inc cancelled.

Honestly not everyone is out to help. So ymmv. Although, i dont see why they would deny you. I mean its a known fact that the screens are on backorder by now. Good luck

Upvote 0

If I were you I would make another call and talk to a different CSR. I called VZW on Friday and cancelled my Incredible order with no problem. My order though was not due to ship until 7/9.

Also, even if you get the phone and refuse the package you should not have to pay a $35 restocking fee because you are returning the phone in unused condition. I would make a big stink about that if VZW charged me a restocking fee for an unused phone.:mad:

Upvote 0
If I were you I would make another call and talk to a different CSR. I called VZW on Friday and cancelled my Incredible order with no problem. My order though was not due to ship until 7/9.

Also, even if you get the phone and refuse the package you should not have to pay a $35 restocking fee because you are returning the phone in unused condition. I would make a big stink about that if VZW charged me a restocking fee for an unused phone.:mad:

I finally spoke with someone who seemed knowledgeable and she said there is no restocking fee if the phone is unused (no phone calls, no data usage, etc.). I, too, would make a big stink if I was charged a restocking fee for an unused phone.

For those trying to cancel, this same seemingly knowledgeable CSR told me that a cancellation can take up to 10 days to process, meaning that if your ship date is within those ten days, you may end up receiving the phone anyway. Just refuse delivery or return it unopened.

I've decided not to cancel my DInc order because at this point I am genuinely interested to see what arrives first - my DInc or July 15. FWIW, my supposed delivery date for my DInc is today. Not. Gonna. Happen.

Upvote 0
I finally spoke with someone who seemed knowledgeable and she said there is no restocking fee if the phone is unused (no phone calls, no data usage, etc.). I, too, would make a big stink if I was charged a restocking fee for an unused phone.

For those trying to cancel, this same seemingly knowledgeable CSR told me that a cancellation can take up to 10 days to process, meaning that if your ship date is within those ten days, you may end up receiving the phone anyway. Just refuse delivery or return it unopened.

I've decided not to cancel my DInc order because at this point I am genuinely interested to see what arrives first - my DInc or July 15. FWIW, my supposed delivery date for my DInc is today. Not. Gonna. Happen.

I'm going to be calling back after a meeting to see if I can get a good CSR this time around. For what it's worth, my delivery date was this past Friday, and still no phone. So, you may be waiting a while.

Upvote 0
Well, I called back. Got a different CSR, with the same result. Saying I had to pay the restocking fee and no way to cancel the order. I told her that I knew others were having success with these issues so she spoke with her manager. The manager said that they would not charge the restock fee but there was still no way to cancel the order.

I asked the CSR if she could tell me when the phone would ship, because I wanted to make sure that I could return it and be eligible for my discount on the 15th to pick-up the DX. After a minute or so, she said it would ship by July 3rd. I reminded her that the shipping date alone was 8 days after I was supposed to receive it when I placed the order, and I told her it was rediculous that Verizon was making it so difficult to cancel an order that they could not meet their own timeline on. So, she called up some technical support division who eventually said that they would place a cancel order notice on my order, but that it would take at least 2 days before they knew if it went through or not. So, I'm supposed to get a phone call to let me know if the cancel was successful or not.

I swear, this really is just pathetic that they have so little control over this whole process. This is the first in my 8 yrs of being a Verizon customer that I've just wanted to tell them to eat the phone and cancel my contract. And frankly, I still may do just that.

Upvote 0
wow, that is very unfortunate. I hate when they try to feed me the corporate bulls#it, like I dont know that they are well capable of bending the rules. That is why i tried until i got them to cancel.
I simply cannot understand why they are making it such a hassle for you. I would try calling again before the hotlines close tonight. Then try in the a.m. as soon as the hotlines are open. Good luck.

Upvote 0
Just some insight.... from my experiences over the past few weeks:

I ordered an INcredible online on June 6. ( at that time supposed to ship out June 28). Found out about the X about a week later and tried to cancel the order. Tried several reps. Gave me some spill about how if I ordered it online, the phone shipped from "the warehouse" and was really difficult if not impossible to cancel. They suggested I just refuse shipment.

Have called repeatedly to check on the status and AGAIN try to cancel. Keep getting the same story. Last Thursday I called and was told that my phone WAS ON SCHEDULE to ship MONDAY the 28th and I should expect it on Wednesday the 30th. So I got all excited... Even though I am swapping it for the X I was planning on using it to help pass the wait for the X and get off this Crappy ASS BB.

So I didn't get the "email" that you are supposed to get when your phone ships yesterday so I called and was told their is now AN ADDItional 5 day DELAY!

This really has gotten pretty ridiculous. I totally get backorders and delays.. but a delay on your delay? And it was supposedly on time 2 days ago?

I plan on waiting at my store for the X the morning of launch. I am not gonna risk another backorder. I am SO ready to truly be on an Android device.

Upvote 0
I ordered My DInc on June 12th. I didn't find out about the X until about a week and a half ago. I liked the idea of the larger screen size, but it wasn't until the announcement that the screens will be changing and the complaints that I saw about signal strength that I really began to rethink my decision on the D Inc. I went to the store to cancel my order (about a 25 minute drive), but of course they refuse to cancel. They did inform me that I could reject the shipment, but with my luck my phone wouldn't ship until around the release date so I wasn't thrilled with this option. Stubborn as I am, I called the store a few more times to see if I could get a different answer. Not only was I not given an option to cancel, but I was told that I would absolutely have to pay the restocking fee if I accepted shipment. I called online CS and the CSR said that she had no way of cancelling it... I was beginning to question why I am with Verizon in the first place... My wife called 3 more times before getting a CSR that was very apologetic for the difficulties that we went through. She proceessed the cancellation with no problem.

Are some of these folks just that clueless or they trying to help keep the sales reps commission?

BTW I was told it would only take 3 days to process the cancellation and refund.

Upvote 0
Well, I called back. Got a different CSR, with the same result. Saying I had to pay the restocking fee and no way to cancel the order. I told her that I knew others were having success with these issues so she spoke with her manager. The manager said that they would not charge the restock fee but there was still no way to cancel the order.

I asked the CSR if she could tell me when the phone would ship, because I wanted to make sure that I could return it and be eligible for my discount on the 15th to pick-up the DX. After a minute or so, she said it would ship by July 3rd. I reminded her that the shipping date alone was 8 days after I was supposed to receive it when I placed the order, and I told her it was rediculous that Verizon was making it so difficult to cancel an order that they could not meet their own timeline on. So, she called up some technical support division who eventually said that they would place a cancel order notice on my order, but that it would take at least 2 days before they knew if it went through or not. So, I'm supposed to get a phone call to let me know if the cancel was successful or not.

I swear, this really is just pathetic that they have so little control over this whole process. This is the first in my 8 yrs of being a Verizon customer that I've just wanted to tell them to eat the phone and cancel my contract. And frankly, I still may do just that.

I would call once again and if they give you the same message ask to speak with a supervisor. I canceled my Incredible order yesterday that I ordered online back in 06/14, so it can definitely be done.

Upvote 0
For starters I enjoy HTC's Sense UI a lot more than that of Motorola's. Does the Droid X posses enough new capabilities for it to be stupid not to make the switch? I'm waiting on my Incredible, have been for about a week. I just need some advice on whether or not I should make the switch to the X.

Help me out!

Upvote 0
Well, it looks like my fun with customer service reps is coming to an end. I got the email late this afternoon that my Dincs were shipped today, and they should arrive on Thurs. I'm heading out of town tomorrow though, so here is to hoping that our receptionist remembers to refuse delivery. I warned her earlier in the week of the potential to need to refuse delivery on a Fed Ex package. Of course though, about 2 hours later UPS shows up and she refused their package instead!

On the positive side, I just got an email from Verizon saying that because of the increased delay on the Inc that they were sending a $25 gift card to use in store. Here's to hoping it is sent separate from the phone(s) that will be refused (provided there isn't another UPS delivery to confuse the receptionist again)! haha

Upvote 0
I ordered My DInc on June 12th. I didn't find out about the X until about a week and a half ago. I liked the idea of the larger screen size, but it wasn't until the announcement that the screens will be changing and the complaints that I saw about signal strength that I really began to rethink my decision on the D Inc. I went to the store to cancel my order (about a 25 minute drive), but of course they refuse to cancel. They did inform me that I could reject the shipment, but with my luck my phone wouldn't ship until around the release date so I wasn't thrilled with this option. Stubborn as I am, I called the store a few more times to see if I could get a different answer. Not only was I not given an option to cancel, but I was told that I would absolutely have to pay the restocking fee if I accepted shipment. I called online CS and the CSR said that she had no way of cancelling it... I was beginning to question why I am with Verizon in the first place... My wife called 3 more times before getting a CSR that was very apologetic for the difficulties that we went through. She proceessed the cancellation with no problem.

Are some of these folks just that clueless or they trying to help keep the sales reps commission?

BTW I was told it would only take 3 days to process the cancellation and refund.

I must be one of the lucky ones. I got a great CSR the very first time I called. I thought I would get the "no you can't cancel your order" BS but he was very helpful. Even tried to get my order changed to the Droid X but the telesales person told him they were not taking preorders for the Droid X. I was also told it would take 3 days to process the cancellation. I can't believe some CSR's are saying it takes 10 days! Damn, it only took a few minutes to order it online and a day or 2 to see the charge on my CC. But 10 days to cancel a order for a phone that is not in stock? Are they processing the cancellations on stone tablets?:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I must be one of the lucky ones. I got a great CSR the very first time I called. I thought I would get the "no you can't cancel your order" BS but he was very helpful. Even tried to get my order changed to the Droid X but the telesales person told him they were not taking preorders for the Droid X. I was also told it would take 3 days to process the cancellation. I can't believe some CSR's are saying it takes 10 days! Damn, it only took a few minutes to order it online and a day or 2 to see the charge on my CC. But 10 days to cancel a order for a phone that is not in stock? Are they processing the cancellations on stone tablets?:rolleyes:

They must have the crappiest system setup in the world. The place I work at we can cancel backorder's very easily. I think Verizon has their system setup this way to eliminate people who get cold feet.

Upvote 0
Just wanted to let you guys know that the CR told the truth. She said 3 days and it took 3 days! Last night I noticed that my NE2 on my online account was freed up, and today I received an e-mail notifying me of my credit card refund!

My Incredible order only took 3 days to cancel too. I checked my credit card online and found the refund. Now I am all set to get the Droid X on the 15th. I did not preorder at Best Buy. I am hoping at least one of my local VZW stores has plenty of stock on the 15th. :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones